It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somolia pirates want to send to Haiti confiscated items from wealthy countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

2010.-January 21 Spokesmen for the so-called "Somali pirates" expressed the willingness to transfer part of the transnational vessels captured and sent to Haiti.

L Leaders of these groups have declared to have links in various places around the world to help them ensure the delivery of aid, without being detected by the armed forces of enemy governments.

Hackers typically redistribute a significant portion of their profits among relatives and the local population. In their operations, the "pirates" urge transnational corporations that own the cargo confiscated to pay a refund in cash, because banks can not operate in Somalia.

"The humanitarian aid to Haiti can not be addressed by the United States and European countries have no moral authority to do so. They are the pirates to mankind for many years, "the spokesman said Somali.

Somalia is located on the eastern tip of the peninsula bordering the Gulf Somalia In the north and the Indian Ocean to the east, is in a very important position in the communication between Asia, Africa and Europe and between the Pacific. "

www.aporrea.org... (I used google translate)

I'm amazed that these pirates would go around donating to countries like Haiti. I wish they could find better ways to donate to countries instead of stealing.

As anyone else somewhat confused by this?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have an idea. Since the pirates are feeling generous, Western and European countries can now stop sending aid to any poor country and the pirates can take over the saving of lives as their new hobby.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It's not that surprising. Though we can safely declare that they will never show such a noble attitude to first world nations, this does show they are looking for friends.

These are my first thoughts

Shoring support from other third world nations.
A possibly real (though misguided) philanthropic streak.
A show of success.
Looking to recruit Hatians

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

As anyone else somewhat confused by this?

Not really - I see this as their way of saying -

"Please just don't kill or arrest us!! Please just let us go on stealing and kidnapping!! We are really good guys!! We are just like Robin Hood!! "

In other words, I think it is just a ploy to try and re-cast their image.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Aid to the suffering is a universal human instinct. Who the sufferer is, is the next can of worms.

Somali's suffer and turned to piracy to live, Haitian's suffered and now pirates show concern. You can't blame the Earthquake can you?

-Frank "The Fedora Man" Saturn

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
I have an idea. Since the pirates are feeling generous, Western and European countries can now stop sending aid to any poor country and the pirates can take over the saving of lives as their new hobby.

Ah, now here you go... the hypocrite!

That's right the HYPOCRITE!

You probably have an X-Box, PS3, or some other magical gadget in the corner, connected to an oversized television.

Do you need it? No. Do you have one, more than likely.

Do the poor have the ability to buy one of these magical gadgets? No.

Do they need it? Like a hole in the head they do....

When you only take what you need, and donate everything else to those that have nothing, then you should speak out...

Do I have things I don't need, sure... but I make damned sure that most of everything I have that is surplus is redistributed to those less fortunate than myself. It takes a lot of time and effort, but it's worth it. Can you say the same? I think not.

As for the Somali Pirates; they're only called "pirates" because the media calls them that. They have been forced by greedy governments such as the US, UK, France, Germany, etc. to live a life that forces them to steal from others in order to survive. Their country has been ravaged, and plundered by rich corporations whilst we stood idly by and did nothing.

Good on them if they want to redistribute their plunder from those that are able to afford it...

A hero springs to mind here. Robin Hood.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Piracy is a business, and all businesses understand the importance of good PR.
Arrrr... second line.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by DJW001]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think they are doing this to try and encroach on some Haitian land. They come off as the good guys to the Haitians, they, like another poster said, could simply get recruites.

It would be more beneficial to get safe ports...think how many ships they could plunder then...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

You have made some assumptions about me, you don't know me. What ever I have I have earned through hard work, that opportunity exists everywhere. Since they have the where with all to get a ship and weapons they could probably get jobs. Stealing from the rich is still stealing and it is wrong and to validate it by giving to Haitians does not justify the act.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

What ever I have I have earned through hard work, that opportunity exists everywhere. FALSE

Since they have the where with all to get a ship and weapons they could probably get jobs. FALSE

Stealing from the rich is still stealing and it is wrong and to validate it by giving to Haitians does not justify the act. TRUE

First of all, I can say the same thing about you not knowing those pirates. Second, action/reaction, the West has exploited the entire African continent for the past hundreds of years so a reaction is inevitable. Third, how many people have those so called pirates killed? They don't steal for pleasure unlike your precious country...

Why oh why do I feel some of you think whatever "we" do is the right thing.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by AphexTwins]

[edit on 12-4-2010 by AphexTwins]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The pirates are merely pointing out that their piracy is as nothing compared to the piracy and plunder committed by governments the world over. We are living under the "vulture capitalism" system. The plunderers have sacked Somalia and bled it dry, until the people are starving, while the rest of us stood by and did nothing, unaware that the vampires are fastened upon us as well, just not sucking so hard. YET.

The Somali pirates' "piracy" is deemed such by the media arm of the corporatocracy, because they are impacting the giant corporations' bottom line, that's all. The stuff they are stealing is not food on its way into Somalia, that's for sure. They are boarding hundred million dollar ships loaded with tens of millions of dollars worth of cargo, simply passing by this starving country, not dropping off any of their cargo. They are truly emulating Robin Hood. They are robbing from the corporatocracy to feed their starving families. And yet, they STILL want to donate their ill gotten gains to those who are actually worse off than they are. These "pirates" actually make the rest of us look pathetic. If that's what pirates do then I am becoming a pirate.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think any tolerance with these pirates robbing from the ships to give to the poor will soon turn into robbing only the SONY TV shipping containers and all the game boys, x boxes and wee's. If pirates are allowed to do as they please, pretty soon they will be taking orders for those on the mainland. The pirates will become a gang for hire stealing what will pay them the most.

As such I think the best thing that could be done is to use all available military or National Defense space satellites and then send a couple of Hellfire cruse missiles right into the Captains Chair and right down the middle of the ships stove pipe. We should end this corruption by immediately targeting and sinking the pirates boats and placing a cash bounty for any pirate delivered dead or alive. Now there's a thought.

End the piracy and end the negotiations with criminals. Promote shooting of any pirate on site and reward anyone that kills a pirate with some food or money.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's Robin Hood...with a twist...and an elaborate network of "co-operatives".

Steal tangible goods from the rich (or even the middle class)...sell it to the poor, (maybe through second hand shops, rentals, etc.) then later find a way to repossess it in some manner....and then ship it out .... eventually using the same goods as leverage to gain favor or committment to an agenda. Look how much $$$ can be made on all these transfers of the same item---over and over. This is why the fleece is laid at the bottom of the river to catch every dreg of gold possible as the goods go downriver.

This analogy can be applied to all pirates...not just pirates of Somalia. Just remember the emblems of the pirates....skull, crossbones, and a tri-cornered hat.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I am genuinely curious. Who of you who replied does REALLY know why Somalia have pirates?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think this is a very good PR move by the pirates (even if it was intended as one). It reminds us that humanity consists of kind people, and that as pirates are prone to being kind too, they are probably also human.

Pityy really, as it’s easier to think of their bodies as little targets we could be napalming without much moral difficulty!!!
At the end of the day, the fact they resort to theft and terrorism means they must be stopped. The fact they are human just adds more urgency to the problem.

I think the best way to reduce kidnapping is to stop paying the ransoms, and to make this happen we need a (binding) International Treaty, prohibiting the payment of ransoms (or at least only enabling payments so low, that they deny the kidnapping process from being a profitable business).

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

Yeah, the Somali pirates are the good guys. That is why Somalia is the shining light in that part of Africa. Everyone has seen how the pirates and warlords are building roads, schools, hospitals, housing, water treatment plants,farms, factories, and other infrastructure.

The Somali warlords and pirates have stolen or destroyed everything worth owning in their own country and now they are looking to steal from other people's countries.

So they want to give away a tiny little portion for PR purposes to shine up their image? Yeah right. They can spend all day and night trying to polish that turd, but it isn't going to happen.

Let us say they had a genuine grievance against the first world just for the sake of argument. That does not give them the right to arbitrarily steal from people who have not done anything to them.

I have been wronged by people. I have been stolen from and beaten down, but I do not go out and go on a crime wave against everyone who comes into my neighborhood because of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I cannot believe all the people who see criminals as the good guys. They are no better than the common criminals on Wall Street. I bet Al Capone saw himself as a good guy as well. Same with Idi Amin.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
so what percent do i have to give away to make stealing a good thing?

now wheres my loot bag, rope n knife

top topics

join