It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans and Mississippi guilty of Katrina Related Abuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
www.wwltv.com...

Hello ATS. I found this article on WWLtv's website. It's a local (New Orleans) news station. Here's a snippet from the article :

"The U.S. government and Gulf Coast states have consistently violated the human rights of hurricane victims since Hurricane Katrina killed about 1,800 people and caused widespread devastation after striking in August 2005, Amnesty International said Friday.

The report, entitled "Un-Natural Disaster," said the treatment of hurricane victims and government actions in housing, health care and policing have prevented poor minority communities from rebuilding and returning to their homes on the Gulf Coast. "

While I am glad to see that money for victims has finally been cleared from the governments red tape, it's still hard to comprehend why some ares of NOLA and surrounding communities have completely rebuilt on there own while others have remained almost exactly as they were after Katrina hit. I live about 30 miles from New Orleans and go there a lot. Some places like the 9th ward and Chalmette, a close suburb of New Orleans still have body counts painted on homes, which are still gutted....some haven't even been gutted yet! Locals from this area are more than annoyed as to why Slidell, Mandeville, Covington, Metairie, Kenner, Harahan, a lot of NOLA, and a whole bunch of other towns directly outside of New Orleans have all managed to come back and rebuild but these select areas have done nothing to help themselves in the last 5 years! I don't want this thread to turn in to a racial hate game, so let's try and keep it civil. What are y'alls opinions on this. I'd love to hear what the rest of the country thinks about Katrina and the rebuilding of Southeast LA and Mississippi.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Some do and some don't. Those that took the intitiative and pulled themseves up by their boot staps have rebuilt their life. Those that sit with a hand out will wait forever and continue the proffesional victim status quo they are so famous for.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wondering302

It's all population control thanks to the Masons.

Should people of gotten up and done something about it, yes IMHO. Instead of sitting around waiting for daddy Gov. to give them a handout.

People are lazy and have an expectation that everything should be done for them, and not cost them anything. It is what TV programs into people, all the free talk on TV and don't pay a thing till 2 years go by...

The people of those area's have reaped what they have sown, nothing.

If people actually did some work and made improvements, then good for them.

Could the government actually of done something to help in those area's? Yes, will they, not likely, why, population control.

Money finally cleared eh? That is absurd, I guess Haitians are worth more then our own countries people. Not that Haitians aren't important, they are, just like all human beings.

It just cheeses me off

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
A lot of the city has come back, but the parts that haven't are the same parts that were in shambles to begin with. As much as I hate to admit it the same people that were living off the gov. before the hurricane are the same people who have done nothing to help themselves. They complain to local news outlets about how unfair the government is and how they should do more to help. I do think the gov. should have done A LOT more to help, but putting your life on hold for 5 years waiting for a hand out is absurd! Even tho they are mostly low-income families, after 5 years they should have got some work done on there homes. Even if progress is slow, it's still progress. IMO

Some areas down here have flooded twice since Katrina (lower lying areas) due to Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, and they have rebuilt yet again! No one seems to talk about that tho.

top topics

join