It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Characters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I recently visited Crete and took some time to see the ruins at Knossos. There are numerous characters carved into the stone but a particular column caught my attention because the faded characters seemed much more primitive than those around them. I traced them onto paper and when I got home I asked my friend who's experienced with ancient languages what they meant, but he didn't recognise them. I know there are quite a few people here who know about this kind of thing so I thought I'd post it in the hope that someone might be able to help. I've copied the carving onto paint to make it more clearly defined.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Interesting. Maybe its just me, but I think it looks similar to the labyrinth symbol. I wonder if could be a variation on that?

I remember seeing the labyrinth symbol discussed in the thread below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think there is supposed to a labryinth under Knossos.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Why didn't you ask someone while you were at Knossos? I'm skeptical. They let you bring cameras, you know.

Phaistos disk
Linear A
Linear BCypro-Minoan

Photographs of Minoan Writing

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yes, why didn't you photograph this? I'd have done so. While a tracing is interesting, it doesn't convey the additional information (weathering, etc.) that a photograph would have.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
As I said I wasn't on holiday, I was on a business trip, I just took some time out to see the ruins. Although that said I generally don't take many pictures even when I am holiday, for me it's enough just to have seen the sights. As for why I didn't ask someone there, I'm rather confused as to why you think they would be able to tell me anything, modern greek bares little resemblance to such markings.

Nevertheless many thanks for the links, some of the characters shown there do resemble the characters of the carving, although there seemed to be few exact matches. I'm going to email the author of one of those sites you linked to, hopefully he should be able to cast some light on this.

join