It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political anti corporate message in Repo Men??? Spoiler Alert!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
First of all, MODS I have no idea if this is the right place to put this... if not feel free to move it somewhere else. Thanks.

Second I'd like to say it may be a spoiler in here so be aware if you haven't seen it yet.

I recently saw the movie Repo Men which is about a corporation that has perfected mechanical implants for everything in the body, as well as a new technology that keeps a person with brain damage alive and in a dreamworld as they are really brain dead, in other words they are dead as a doornail and should be let go. Well, if you get their implants you have to buy it on credit, one of the items they quote pricing for, pancreas, is $681,000, so obviously the cost is not easily paid in cash, and obviously people will have problems being able to keep up with the payments on credit (quoted at APR of 19.5%). When you can't afford the payment the Repo Men come and take back the organ implant. When they do take it back, they are supposed to ask you if you'd like them to call an ambulance to have it standing by, or would you like them to take you to a hospital after retrieval. Most of the time they ask them this while they're unconcious. Of course, nobody lives through the retrieval or even gets to answer those questions. Then while retrieving a heart one of the Repo Men (Jude Law), using the defribrilator to shock the patient to stop his heart so he can retrieve it, knocks himself out stopping his own heart and has to now also have a heart implant. He doesn't want it knowing full well that he nor anyone else could ever make the payments. But, he ends up on the other side of the coin regardless. Now he wants to battle the corporation so that they will stop killing the public basically.

Now in this story, I see tones of a very political nature about corporations in general. I don't know if the director is a political activist or not. But, it would seem he is definately sending a dark, very clear message about how he views corporations and how they are going to be our undoing. JMO, so I am asking ATSers, what do you think? Do you think this is directed to be Anti corporatism?
I do, and I agree with his message. Would like to get other views, too.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hmm, sounds interesting. Sounds a lot like Repo! The Genetic Opera to me.

I completely agree though, with anti-corporate messages. They will be our downfall.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yazman
Hmm, sounds interesting. Sounds a lot like Repo! The Genetic Opera to me.

I completely agree though, with anti-corporate messages. They will be our downfall.

Really I think that I read somewhere it is based on the Opera. Don't quote me though, I could be mistaken. It is evil what they do now, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say they'd end up in the future being just as evil as portrayed in this movie.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by ldyserenity]

join