It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM to announce 6 May general election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The game is afoot it appears.

Not suprising given the recent posturing between the main political partiies in the UK.

Will this be anything other than a Tory win?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

The game is afoot it appears.

Not suprising given the recent posturing between the main political partiies in the UK.

Will this be anything other than a Tory win?

Damn...you're in Yorkshire. I was hoping it was a Canadian thread.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You lot have an election every 6 months it seems

Nah, its the UK's turn now

[edit on 5/4/10 by neformore]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
From my limited understanding, I think the Conservatives will win the largest number of votes, but they will be neck and neck with Labor with the number of parliamentary seats they win.

So I think England will end up with a hung parliament, where no one party has a majority in the lower house, with Mr Brown leading a minority government. And unless he can form an alliance with the Liberal Party, his government will fall when a Supply Bill is blocked or when his government loses a confidence motion.

Queen Elizabeth then either decides to invite the Conservative leader to form a government, or if that looks like it won't work she dismisses Parliament and holds another election.

That is how I read it right now. It looks like an unstable few months for that country.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You lot have an election every 6 months it seems

Nah, its the UK's turn now

[edit on 5/4/10 by neformore]

Gosh, I thought you had mispelled in your first sentence, and I put it down to the cold
Really though, I wish we could forego an election when you look around you. The current party Government, has been around for quite a while now, and up to the 2008 world monetary crisis, was pretty stable fiscally, and for a considerable time, about the longest as I can remember. At the same time it is comprised of fairly young members, but who have experience. On the Conservative side there is a fresh faced David Cameron, who at this time should, but doesn't, have any real in-your-face new Ideas. There seems to be no lateral thinking on the best way to run a country, except more and more silly laws, almost to the point that any individual doesn't even know if they are breaking the law or not. From that point of view all parties are guilty.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
So I think England will end up with a hung parliament, where no one party has a majority in the lower house, with Mr Brown leading a minority government.

...which is exactly how we keep getting stuck with the Government of Steve.

The joke here is:
q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
a: To ask the Governor General to prorogue Parliament.

Trade you Steve for future considerations...meanwhile, best of luck in your upcoming silly season.

top topics

join