It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Americans were nearly wiped out by a comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Native Americans were nearly wiped out by a comet

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Apr. 1, 2010) — Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Is this why Native American culture seemed to not advance as quickly as its old world counterparts? Around this time the first cities were being built in the Middle East and Asia so perhaps early Native American cities (if they existed then) were wiped out. Such a catastrophy (1000+ Tungusksas!) would have certainly forced early North American civilizations to disperse and basically start over, while also possibly erasing evidence of technological progress. This event also restarted the Ice Age!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenbob

Wait... I just yesterday or Wednesday read a thread that said the cooling 13,000 years ago was caused by a massive flood, trapped behind glacial walls that spilled out into the Atlantic and disrupted oceanic currents. Now this? Hmm.. not trying to derail the topic of Native culture destruction by means of galactic intervention, but it's just interesting how back to back explanations come for the cooling, suggesting wildly different theories.

On topic: I can see how that may have happened. If there was such a meteorite event, then there would surely be a massive amount of devestation. I'll read a little more into it, thanks for the info.

Regards,
NEXUS

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Civilization starts over again and again, its a natural cycle. The current public understanding that we started as monkeys and built everything up once until we are today is simply not true. There is tons of evidence that we have done all this before.

Im starting to believe its because our sun is really a binary star (it has a twin in a elliptical orbit). Most solar systems in the universe are actually binary. The twin comes back at regular intervals, almost but not completely wiping out civilization over and over again.

The twin would have to be a brown dwarf since we dont see it. Research ancient civilizations, its very interesting.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Copernicus]

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I believe the Clovis culture was wiped out by this event.

The few remaining survivors were then killed off by Asian peoples (Folsom culture)that came across Alaska.

I believe the Clovis Culture people were Solutreans that came from Europe.
en.wikipedia.org...
archaeology.about.com...
lithiccastinglab.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenbob

This reminds me of a History Channel documentary called "Journey to 10, 000 BC". This also has a catastrophe destroying the culture around 13, 000 BC in North America. First I thought my eyes deceived me because the "paleo-Indians" were played by white actors! Ahh - but then we were told that Caucasians crossed the semi-frozen Atlantic and to become the first Native Americans! They were destroyed by a catastrophe, and then there is archeological sediment silence until the "true" American Indians appear!
I was shocked that they could make such a revisionist documentary.

anthropology.net...

[edit on 3-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
A couple of things I don't understand about this:

This seems like old news even though I see a recent date.

And the clovis people weren't NEARLY wiped out, they were COMPLETELY wiped out right? As far as I know all evidence gathered so far shows the clovis people vanished around that time.

And yes, I also wondered if the draining of the giant lake could be somehow tied to this impact event. I don't know of any proof of that but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenbob

Is this why Native American culture seemed to not advance as quickly as its old world counterparts?

An interesting theory proposed by Jared Diamond for the `head-start` Eurasia gained , is that it was the source (fertile crescent) of most of the domesticated plants and large animals on which civilisation advanced .

The successful movement of these plants and animals to other geographical regions was dependant on the climate / length of day etc etc. Something which is relatively similar when moving in an East-West axis , but not so much when moving North /South .

Diamond suggests a key difference between the continents: the primary axis of Eurasia is east-west, whereas the axes of Africa and the Americas are north-south. Because crops are climate dependent and climate varies strongly with latitude, crops and domestic animals could spread across Eurasia more easily.

link

Guns, Germs and Steel Part 1

Google Video Link

Guns, Germs and Steel - Part 2
Guns Germs and Steel Part 3

===============================================

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS

I just yesterday or Wednesday read a thread that said the cooling 13,000 years ago was caused by a massive flood, trapped behind glacial walls that spilled out into the Atlantic and disrupted oceanic currents. Now this? Hmm.. not trying to derail the topic of Native culture destruction by means of galactic intervention, but it's just interesting how back to back explanations come for the cooling, suggesting wildly different theories.

Could you have both events taking place.... or one effecting another . The fragments of this huge meteorite striking the Ice sheet , releasing masses of fresh water into the Atlantic Ocean effecting its salinity and disrupting ocean currents and the conveyance of warmer water into the North Atlantic.
The subsequent cooling causing the glaciers to re-advance .

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a 1000 metors hu but yet not even one freash hole?
the arzonia creator was a rock the size of a grayhound bus.
so weres the left over stuff?
nope sorry this dont fly
flooding?? maby the ark was built in the us??? flooding is a local event .
the indians moved time again because climet change in taht area made it harder to grow stuff so they moved no comets needed no world changing floods just a few dry years of yes even wet years in a area.
these people lived hand to mouth wich means they dident have windixe to fall back on in a bad growing year,
man you shopuld study how many pioners died of heat cold starvation

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

The article didn't say meteors (although I'm sure a few sneaked in). This event was caused by a comet breaking up in space for whatever reason, and then the Earth passed through the debri field the comet left behind. Now comets are not made of metals or rock and are actually mostly water and dust. So when they enter the atmosphere they rarely ever impact the ground but if they are big enough and enter the lower atmosphere, they will explode with the force of a nuclear bomb. Nuclear bombs don't leave impact craters either since they are made to be detonated high in the air. So, a thousand nuclear like explosions would certainly cause devastation but would not leave lasting craters.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Drunkenbob]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
And the clovis people weren't NEARLY wiped out, they were COMPLETELY wiped out right? As far as I know all evidence gathered so far shows the clovis people vanished around that time.]

Two things...at this point the continent was very thinly populated by nomadic hunters, one comet is not going to wipe them out.

Secondly, 'Clovis' people are essentially defined by their technology...mainly a style of fluted projectile points. You are equating a change in technology with the disappearance of a people. Not the same.

new topics

top topics

join