It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't We Forget. A Small Reminder.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln.

I felt like i had to put this up because of the events that have taken place recently, many people have never read this small important piece, or maybe they have forgotten.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Legendary speech. The last sentence is the most important in my eyes.

The government would do well to recite that speech and remember it, so that way when the hammer comes crushing down on them they won't have the nerve to ask "why?"

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln.

I felt like i had to put this up because of the events that have taken place recently, many people have never read this small important piece, or maybe they have forgotten.

most epic

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Real nostalgic tear jerker if you can feel it.

S & F

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
But essentially, this country is not of the people, by the people.

The USA is not a pure democracy. We elect officials (presidents, congressmen/women) to represent us. We do not vote on national bills and laws. They do. We elect them through majority vote to represent us. That's the thing. It has always been this way. Why all the backlash now? The Bush administration was far more tyrranical if you ask me, but no one seemed to give a dam. Now that Obama has gotten a health care bill signed to law, theres a portion of the country claiming hes a terrorist??? Are they retarted? Seriously?

That speech really is a work of art though. Wonderfully put.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by spinalremain]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The government would do well to recite that speech and remember it, so that way when the hammer comes crushing down on them they won't have the nerve to ask "why?"

hmmm, me thinks you better stop and think which side won before you start another civil war.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by damwel]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Perhaps this isn't a nation 'of' or 'by' the people; and perhaps that was what he was trying to say: it was meant to be, and should be.

Lincoln was here at the nation's weakest moment, and his struggle was against even the masters of money to restore the Union.

More than anything he knew that the economic reality of the day would make the Union's victory inevitable. Not so any longer. The banking cartel is everywhere.

His call to brotherhood and remembrance of the honor and dignity that America is supposed to stand for is to this day relevant and clearly applicable.

But those devoted to a different cause are now intermingled within our government, and they command the loyalty of our representatives.

This is not a military we war we are suffering, it is an economic one, and the insurgents are appointed to office... not elected.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Abe was a great man, my favorite president

thanks for the post

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Very well put. I couldn't agree with you more, nor have put it better myself.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Than you for posting this reply as it is important. Most Americans see our country and a "Democracy" instead of a "Representative Republic". We democratically elect the person to represent us and that's where the democracy ends. The representative then does our voting for us in Congress.

Peace............yak055h

new topics

top topics

join