It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cubesail" to drag space debris out of orbit.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think Dr Vaios Lappas the lead researcher on this project has come up with a pretty amazing idea, the idea seems, simple easy to make, and worth while.
I've read a lot about debris and it really is a massive threat, funny i geuss, the first lot of astronauts never realised that would it would happen untill too late, and now it's gone and got to the point where going through space is meant to be more dangerous than crossing the motorway at peak time blindfolded! haha.

"Using large deployable surfaces to increase the drag on these objects so they fall to Earth rapidly is one possible solution to the space litter problem.

CubeSail, unveiled on Friday, is a 3kg (6.6lb), 10cm x 10cm x 30cm (4in x 4in x 12in) nanosatellite."

I honestly think this sounds genius, read an in depth review of the project on the bbc website with lots of great videos and sound clips

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Sorryy! i pressed enter to quick up theree, the link is below labelled "link 1"

Link 1

Let me know your thoughts on this
or anything simalar x

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This (or some similar fail-safe reentry device) would be a good addition to future satellites. It's a great idea that would eventually lead to less debris in low Earth orbit.

However, The person who invents a cost effective method for cleaning up the junk already up there (especially the small pieces of debris) would the real innovator.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is the sort of thing we need.

Big but!..... Altering a predictable orbit by introducing, or sorry deploying this thing has the potential to make space travel even more dangerous!!!! It is a complicated thing, way above my understanding

new topics

top topics

join