It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Myths is sci-fantasy(sufficiently advanced techsnologies are indistinguishable from magic)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Do you know Mythologies is real because the gods in Mythologies are not so immortal and their magics is later revealed as Modern and Sci-fi Weapons and technologies like Zeus's Thunderbolts that surprisingly no other than Directed Energy weapons that just like Ion Cannon from Command and Conquer: Tiberian series and Independence Day Style Laser weapons, Flying Chariots of gods that that also no other than Fighter Aircraft where the 'Arrow' that they shots is Missile, and Many More.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by masonicon]

[edit on 27-3-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I don't understand what you are trying to say here

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
I don't understand what you are trying to say here

Too Often ancient people interprets highly advanced technologies that they encounters as Magic

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
he or she is trying to say that mythology was actually real events, which alot of people have speculated and pondered on over the thousands of years.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What about Talos as an advanced robot? The Birds of Stymphalis were what? Unmanned robot airplanes? Hydra was a mutant reptile? The Golden Fleece was a radiation shield? Pegasus maybe a spaceship? Medusa was trying on a new, revolutionary hairdo? Maybe Enceladus did master the "art" of making earthquakes at will?

I could go on and on, without ever leaving Greek Mythology (I am not well versed in other mythologies, I bet others that are can offer their insight)...

I think we're beating a dead horse here. Ancient people included in their mythologies what they saw around them and couldn't explain. Zeus' thunderbolts were just that, thunderbolts! Without the knowledge to explain how a thunderbolt is formed they attributed that to the King of their Gods (the thunderbolt being a spectacular and destructive phenomenon). I am sure if you search it a bit, you can "assign" the rest of the "magic" in natural phenomena that the ancients couldn't explain.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

What about Talos as an advanced robot? The Birds of Stymphalis were what? Unmanned robot airplanes? Hydra was a mutant reptile? The Golden Fleece was a radiation shield? Pegasus maybe a spaceship? Medusa was trying on a new, revolutionary hairdo? Maybe Enceladus did master the "art" of making earthquakes at will?
CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND!

You have breached the Vail of the matrix and dared to see the unsealable. You have used creative deduction and imagination to pose possibilities others can not, even though you pose it as sarcasm. You truly are a gifted mind.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
think of the stone-agers living today in places like the Amazon and New Guinea; they must occasionally see jets and such. what must they think? giant silver birds?

another theory is that there were highly advanced human civilizations in the past, since destroyed (Atlantis) and some ancient writings were recordings/interpretations of their activities. (I've ready several accounts of some Sanskrit writings from ancient India--the Vedas?--which sound like aircraft battles).

there is a small field of study involving impossibly advanced tech--the Piri Reis map, urns that can generate electricity when filled with acid (vinegar), the Nazca lines, etc. little difference between 'aliens' and highly advanced prehistoric humans.
among the books adressing this are 'Morning of the Magicians' and 'Timeless Earth'.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Eye, thanks for the comments but I was being sarcastic.

Ancient Greeks were highly symbolic and, one can say, "poetic" in their myths. there are some patterns that repeat through the centuries even if the seeming themes look different.

Take the most "difficult" of the examples I presented, Talos. He looks like a robot, he acts like a robot, yet there is a slight problem with his "mechanics". He is made entirely out of copper and his body is run through by one single vein filled with "ichor", the blood of the Gods - which is what keeps him alive. Now, copper is highly conductive, if we assume some sort of electric power running him, there's a problem of short circuits with a copper body (plastic was not known back then, this we can safely assume!). Not to mention parts of him that even today are almost impossible to implement, let alone in that scale! I am referring to the "control" mechanism, whatever it was.
What is offered as an explanation for the myth of Talos is this. Talos represents the fading age of copper, thus he is made out of copper. Talos is guarding Crete, the last stronghold of copper age civilizations in the Aegean area. He is finally subdued by mainland Greeks (Jason) which symbolizes the overpowering of Cretan civilization by Myceneans who were iron-armed.

I am a firm believer of Occam's razor, if there's a simpler, logical and viable explanation for something that buffles us I will give it a thought and more often than not my "vote" too

About the Vimanas (ancient Indian aircrafts) works4dhs, the problem is that the level of destruction to erase any and all physical remnants not only of them but of the whole infrastructure needed to develop them is such that it would most likely wipe humans off the face of the Earth completely. Agreed, New Guinea stone age tribes replicate British and Dutch aircraft today in hopes that it will bring them (and their "gifts") back. From this point though to the point of claiming that all the advanced manifestations of humanity we have today disappear and ONLY some drawings/paintings survive in some jungle cave is highly unlikely (I am not saying impossible but I bet you will agree with me that it is highly unlikely).

Entertaining "romantic" thoughts of an advanced antiquity has always been prevalent, either as a means to preserve some "national" heritage and enhance it or to strengthen the belief in our own capability. The mere fact that the species has survived all that's been thrown its way the past 200,000 years (ice ages, Toba eruption, climate instability, feel free to add what escaped me) and flourished to the point of being almost ready to colonize other celestial bodies is nothing short of a miracle. to "explain" this without our modern technological achievements we employ alien intervention, super advanced ancestors (the more ancient the better
) and who knows what more. It is not that we "owe" it to aliens (I don't believe in aliens, if anyone has hard, solid proof I will consider their existence, until then they simply are not around!), it is hard to believe we could "lose" so much of what we used to know.

Let's go down a path for a while, in an attempt to explain some of the wonders of antiquity. We stand in awe in front of the Pyramids (in whatever continent they are), the Great Wall of China, megalithic structures all over the world, sophisticated devices like the Antikythera mechanism, awesome medical breakthroughs that are not in use today, extremely accurate maps and other "things" from the past. We wonder "how" and "why" they were made, and in many cases by whom. There's little to be said about the "why", we have grown so far apart from the ancient mindset that grasping why someone would devote his life or break his back to stack 10-ton stone blocks one on top of another. There are, in some cases, theories (some tested enough to be very plausible) that explain the "how" and where we are lucky enough to find something that works as evidence we can have a good idea who built/made those things. The fact remains, there is not one "unified" theory that explains all of them satisfactory, to do that we need more undeniable evidence (mere references in scriptures won't do, if we find a piece or two it is far better - after all the Antikythera mechanism wasn't mentioned anywhere until found!).

To the OP:
Back on topic, there's one striking "theme" included in many mythologies that survived as such until Newton explained how light behaves when it passes through clear bodies (clear as in non-opaque, my English fails me!). so, was the Bible wrong that the rainbow was the promise of God to Noah that He would never again drown the world in water? Was it some advanced technology that created the first rainbows that inspired the references?

If you are going to dismiss this example as being a natural phenomenon included in a myth, what prevents the rest from being such? It is very convenient to "separate" parts that fit your theory and discard those that do not but it is generally a good thing to warn us that you will do that. When you open your thread asking "Do you know Mythologies is real" I can answer that finding only 1-2 examples of mythical references that cannot be advanced technologies (simply because they are natural phenomena) and "shoot" you down. If you wanted to ask "do you know that some mythologies have parts that could be real?" then it would be a whole different conversation

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

Is there things in mythologies and legends that no other than Sci-fi Theoritical artifacts like: Dyson spheres, Niven rings, Utility fogs, Disassembler Nanobots, etc?

[edit on 9-4-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Some of you, especially the OP, should look up cargo cults, as this phenomenon could be understood as proof of principle.

Cargo cult activity in the Pacific region increased significantly during and immediately after World War II, when large amounts of manpower and materials were brought in by the Japanese and American combatants, and this was observed by the residents of these regions. When the war ended, the military bases were closed and the flow of goods and materials ceased. In an attempt to attract further deliveries of goods, followers of the cults engaged in ritualistic practices such as building crude imitation landing strips, aircraft and radio equipment, and mimicking the behavior that they had observed of the military personnel operating them.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a short video to get you started:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by catfishman
Some of you, especially the OP, should look up cargo cults, as this phenomenon could be understood as proof of principle.

Cargo cult activity in the Pacific region increased significantly during and immediately after World War II, when large amounts of manpower and materials were brought in by the Japanese and American combatants, and this was observed by the residents of these regions. When the war ended, the military bases were closed and the flow of goods and materials ceased. In an attempt to attract further deliveries of goods, followers of the cults engaged in ritualistic practices such as building crude imitation landing strips, aircraft and radio equipment, and mimicking the behavior that they had observed of the military personnel operating them.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a short video to get you started:

How about more ancient examples of the Cargo Cults?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
How about references of Dyson Spheres, Alderson Disk, Grey Goo, Planet sling, and other Science Fiction technologies and artifacts in Mythology?

[edit on 3/6/2010 by masonicon]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Are any and all of those referred to in some mythology? I know none of them is referred to in Greek Mythology but I cannot say the same for other mythologies.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Everybody! forgot about Greek mythology! let's talk about all mythologies other than Greek Mythology!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

I am so Sorry to have not detected your sarcasm in the other post on hollow earth! I thouight you were one of those psuedo-whatever-ians believing all sh*t like hollow earth too.

I promise i will use my sarcasm detection vision(TM) from now onwards.

Truly, what you have stated is so TRUE!

Every myth can be looked at from a sci-fi point of view. But that doesnt makew the myth a real event like what the OP says.
It is the OP's POV not others'.

top topics

join