It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we have a RANDOM thread/post button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I've noticed that a lot of times when I click on a thread, the posts that follow are almost randomized. Sometimes it's hard to find a hint of correlation between any individual post and the topic of the thread.

I read one thread that was about jelly fish, and all of the sudden someone started taking about tai chi.

In another thread, it was about a health care bill, and all of the sudden people are talking about how Obama is from Kenya.

In one thread, It was about a chip implant, and it turned into posts about killing cops and turning houses into bomb shelters.

Can we have a random post/thread button to make this easier? For example, instead of me having to find a thread topic about, say... gun control and then searching for it and reading through the posts until I can read about dinosaurs, can't I just say "I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
can't I just say "I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

Wow. Antisemitism is not tolerated on ATS.
Take it back to the student lounge at the SS officer academy, Gestapo.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by 943002]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 943002

can't I just say "I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

Wow. Antisemitism is not tolerated on ATS.
Take it back to the student lounge at the SS officer academy, Gestapo.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by 943002]

Excuse me? What exactly is that supposed to mean?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Edit: Oh wait, I get it. You're mocking my random button question.

Haha. Good one.

Edit2: On second thought, I don't appreciate you painting that picture.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WTF?!

I say we discuss Tai Chi.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Maybe that last example was a bad one, I had no idea "someone" would be so quick to associate rich with Jewish. That's about as stupid as associating poor with black or smart with asian.

But, I suppose you have to be careful with so many simple folk around.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
WTF?!

i learned a handful of tai chi basics over the summer (along with kung fu) from a co-worker i would meet in a nearby park before work. we trained for about two months, and it completely changed the way i handle myself and confront situations (especially hairy ones). tai chi is so stunningly effective and graceful, i will always be in awe of first it's strenght, and second, it's amazing beauty and simplicity.

as for the random thread button, a good idea. too bad you put the idea out there so poorly and tastelessly.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

WTF?!

i learned a handful of tai chi basics over the summer (along with kung fu) from a co-worker i would meet in a nearby park before work. we trained for about two months, and it completely changed the way i handle myself and confront situations (especially hairy ones). tai chi is so stunningly effective and graceful, i will always be in awe of first it's strenght, and second, it's amazing beauty and simplicity.

as for the random thread button, a good idea. too bad you put the idea out there so poorly and tastelessly.

I had taken Karate for about 5 years between 10-15. I liked it but I lost
interest at some point. I was considering signing up for a class that's coming
up, just to see what I still remember. Perhaps before I do I will look into Tai
Chi, you seemed to really connect to it. Thanks for the info.

As for the random thread button:

Maybe that last example was a bad one, I had no idea "someone" would be so quick to associate rich with Jewish. That's about as stupid as associating poor with black or smart with asian.

The "someone" is you, seeing that you were so quick to make the association and take the time to use at as an example in a thread. It seems
that you were quicker than they.

At least you were able to note that your example was bad and admit it was stupid.

You had no idea that someone would associate rich with Jewish?! Where do
you live? It's in just about every joke used by comedians, late night
monologues, TV programs all the way to the creepy guy at work who says
he's not racist. And for the record my problem wasn't with "rich" and
"Jewish" it was with "evil" and "Jewish"

"I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

[edit on 27-3-2010 by keepureye2thesky]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Not to interrupt the scintillating and apparently inevitable Jew/Nazi topic, but just so you know, the random button is under discussion here.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
flag to vote yes on this bill. :p

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I say we have a button that when pressed, directs the member to a random post about farnarkling...

This would have the benefit of increasing ATS members knowledge of the wonderful pastime of farnarkling

Farnarkling being exactly what is happening in this thread...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

WTF?!

I had taken Karate for about 5 years between 10-15. I liked it but I lost
interest at some point. I was considering signing up for a class that's coming
up, just to see what I still remember. Perhaps before I do I will look into Tai
Chi, you seemed to really connect to it. Thanks for the info.

As for the random thread button:

The "someone" is you, seeing that you were so quick to make the association and take the time to use at as an example in a thread. It seems
that you were quicker than they.

At least you were able to note that your example was bad and admit it was stupid.

You had no idea that someone would associate rich with Jewish?! Where do
you live? It's in just about every joke used by comedians, late night
monologues, TV programs all the way to the creepy guy at work who says
he's not racist. And for the record my problem wasn't with "rich" and
"Jewish" it was with "evil" and "Jewish"

"I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

[edit on 27-3-2010 by keepureye2thesky]

It appears that you don't have basic reading comprehension and have no knowledge of anti-assocations. The whole idea for a random buttom comes from my observation that threads derail into random posts.

jelly fish --> tai chi.
health care bill --> Obama is from Kenya.
chip implant --> killing cops and turning houses into bomb shelters.
gun control --> dinosaurs
evil rich people --> Jews

and apparently,

random button -> antisemitism

This is exactly why we need a random button, because of people like you who derail threads into contests of word association. Just look at the whole of your damn posts!

Nothing to do with the central topic.

For you,

random button - > tai chi and antisemitism.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A reminder to keep this thread on topic.

No more Tai Chi or otherwise.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Nothing crushes a discussion about randomness quicker than a prohibition on randomness in the discussion. Apparently.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Can we have a random post/thread button to make this easier? For example, instead of me having to find a thread topic about, say... gun control and then searching for it and reading through the posts until I can read about dinosaurs, can't I just say "I want to read a thread about evil rich people" and then press a random button to arrive at a post that talks about Jewish people?

EPIC ROFLMAO!
You facetious bastard!

top topics

join