It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fossilized Pinky May Point To New Human Relative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Anthropologists didn't have much to work with on this paleontological puzzle — just a piece of a pinky finger discovered in a cave in the Altai Mountains of Siberia. But what most surprised scientists at the Max Planck Institute in Germany was the DNA inside that finger — specifically, mitochondrial DNA, which is found in every human cell. It's rare to be able to isolate DNA that's 40,000 years old, so when researcher Johannes Krause finally did, he called his boss, anthropologist Svante Paabo. "Johannes called me when I was in the U.S. and told me about this, and it was absolutely amazing," Paabo says. "At first I didn't believe him, and I thought he was pulling my leg." What the DNA showed was that whoever that finger belonged to was not a human like us. Nor was it a Neanderthal, the only other member of the human line known to be living in Europe at the time, according to research described in the journal Nature.
Continued

I did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned. Pretty interesting stuff. I'd love to read a follow up on this once more information is uncovered. The idea that there was a third line of hominids living in Europe at the time seems interesting.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
it was discussed earlier today, i can't find the post right now. There were a few pages i believe.

Also you may find this post interesting, it is similar to this story.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of such an interesting thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Chuchunaa (Siberian Bigfoot) also spelled Chuchunya???
www.science-frontiers.com...
www.angelfire.com...

Could be a surviving members of Homo heidelbergensis.????
www.pbs.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zephyrs

Yes, this has been posted earlier at the following. Another Ancestor of Man? New Lineage of Ancient Human

Always interesting and ever changing topic though

Ciao

Shane

new topics

top topics

join