It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punk Rock anybody?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The other day I found some cd's of my old band I was in for a few years. We all went out separate ways and I started the meditation and yeahh.. well here's some proof that I used to be an angry and enthusiastic alcoholic! hahaha, peace.
(Oh yeah, warning: LANGUAGE)

During your tough jobless times, let this be your anthem!
media.abovetopsecret.com...

These two are live recordings but still decent quality but the vocals could be higher. Another song about drinking (what a surprise) haha. Another favourite of ours:

and an Operation Ivy cover:

There's still like 6 more I'll post later, some i don't have. They were older cd's, a lot of good recordings came off a more recent one.

Those were the days, i'm itchin to get a band of any kind going again, punk, rock, metal, anything!

anyways, peace! If you don't like punk rock, these horrid sounds may make your head hurt with its perceived but intentional crappyness. hahaha

EDIT: Fixed the links, didn't think they would all play automatically and then you have to turn them all off, that's alot of chaos, punk rock! hahaa

[edit on 24-3-2010 by CavemanDD]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I sooo miss my punk rock days back around 2000 or so... especially traveling around with local bands state to state and sleeping over night at the Mantis (was a total dive, owned by some hippie friends of my dads in Kent, Ohio and they had an art gallery next door where we could crash. But hey, it's not as fun unless it's a dive imo
There was always a very real chance of being electrocuted..lol).

Here is one band I remember seeing there, Crimson Sweet, from NY:

And here is a vid shot at the Mantis (now closed
)

The art gallery:

The actual Mantis:

Don't really know those last two bands, but those were the only vids I could find from the Mantis.

Good thread Op!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ganja

nice vids! haha sweet, especially the last one, it brings back many memories of just noise, bad recordings and people crashing into each other. So many places got destroyed, and so many scars! Caveman was actually my nickname back then, but now adays I just use it for anything I need a screen name for or something, but my old friends still call me caveman and its kinda funny, I don't think about it, I just respond as if they were calling me by name but its kind of a funny nickname especially for me now-adays.

What about you, did you have a nickname? haha sweet.

Yeah touring in a punk band sure was luxurious. I was ready to do it but everyone's priorities changed. We were all good friends but everyone had their own thing which sort of collectively worked against this band from taking off. I was the ambitious GO GO GO get er done guy, same with the singer but the drummer would let us be late for a gig so he could slowly finish his supper and the other guitarist is a legendary alocoholic. The only challenge was keeping him sober enough but that was part of the show. People saw the other bands for the music, people came to see us for the party. haha

I remembered we played this gig in London Ontario, we drove out there and the bar owner let us crash in this really destroyed sort of loft area, that was pretty cool. We just drank and sang irish folk songs until the morning, while the bassist flipped out on us because he had to sleep with his dart vader mask on, some water vapour thing. We did get to play with a couple big bands and we met some bands from the older scene. It was pretty fun.

When I was 16 I saw my first show in toronto and I remember some scary lookin' french canadian punk kid, about 15 years old and he had one of those eyes without pigment, he was a really nice guy and we hung out and drank behind the venue. When we were inside we were moshing and his spiked bracelet caught me in the head and split it open really deep. So my face was covered in blood and I thought "awesome!!".. but yeah I got kicked out, and lost my ride home and had an interesting night. The next week at school the cut was stapled up but infected. I had my mohawk and covered the wound with some duct tape, the only thing that would stick! I still have a bump and for a year hear didn't grow in this 1 inch gap on my head, hahaha. Plenty o'more stories like that!

Everyone post your punk rock music and stories!!.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Heh... I had pretty much nothing to contribute to the bands themselves, wasn't even a roadie... Just would hang out with them and the old hippies after shows and make friends. Since I had nothing else to do, i often got dragged along to the next gig. Sometimes i would be gone for a month or so, just crashing in the van, and doing about a years worth of partying in the space of a few days at a time.

And yes, I've had a few nicknames, mostly Ganj or Giuseppe (worked at a pizza place called Giuseppe's from time to time). Really wish there was more of a punk rock scene here in Alabama... Cali was pretty fun as far as punk rock goes

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

Also, wish I knew about the punk rock scene in Toronto ... Lived there for about three months, but all I did was go to Midieval Times and the CN tower and the like.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I actually thought your songs sounded pretty good!!! lol I've been listening to quite a bit of punk lately.

I've gone to a bunch of local basement concerts, but I've never been in a band. Though I always thought I could make a halfway decent Crust Punk/D-beat vocalist. I can also play guitar!!! I'm not too skilled, but hey its punk!!!

[edit on 24-3-2010 by nick_napalm]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

ha thanks, right on dude. You know with punk rock vocals you're mostly just yelling but if you can make that sound harmonic and pleasing to the ears well then it really helps strengthen the band! We had a lot of people who said they didn't like how our vocalist did his thing but he got the crowd going, he wrote all the songs, and we all liked how he yelled or couldn't care less anyway. I'd never have wanted a different singer but the dude COULD actually SING, which I tried to encourage him to bring that out somehow. I was trying to form a band with him recently, he writes some killer tunes but dammit he needs to be drunk as hell to have the confidence to perform and that doesn't really help him remember the words! Of course if there's 5 of you its like an army on stage and there's no such stage fright.

I've seen a lot of decent punk rock vocalists, some are just average or boring, I think if you're not playing an instrument then it really helps to have some stage presence. I mean its funny really but you see all the bigger punk bands and one thing that stands out is how everyone on stage moves around, they all go crazy, i guess people dig it eh?

Anyways, if you can work a crowd, they'll love ya, with the most drunken appreciation.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ganja

haha medieval times. I need to go back there some time, that place was pretty sweet when I was 13 and just entertaining as hell to go with your grade 12 class. I was never old enough to drink when I was there but I think it would be good for a laugh to watch that.

I've never been to the CN tower, I guess its a big tourist thing but when you live there I guess you don't care really. I dunno.. I used to be a window cleaner so i've had plenty of times to stand on a tall building and take in the city view, so much that i'm sick of lookin at it!

The punk scene in Toronto, I have no idea what it's like these days. To my knowledge they just closed this venue that was the main place for punk shows for the past 20+ years. There are other places still. There was a big crusty kind of scene and then another that was like mega-glam punk. Some very different musical tastes and philosophies I guess.

There's a real unfortunate thing about punk rock and Canada and that its impossible to get into this country with a criminal record so that being said, alot of the bands got denied, which really really sucked.

I got no idea what's going on in Toronto at all anymore, i'm out of the loop. It's my fault for choosing to be a hermit for 4 years.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

Well, I can't actually sing. But I can do some mean Crust Punk/D-beat esque singing!!!

Similar to these bands

[edit on 25-3-2010 by nick_napalm]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This would have to be my favorite Punk Rock Footage from the Circle Jerks during the Decline of Western Civilization.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

nice one, i enjoyed that.

I used to love these guys haha, hell i still do, that video was awesome.

top topics

join