It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Labour Party suspends 3 MPs in lobbying scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

UK Labour Party suspends 3 MPs in lobbying scandal

www.cnn.com

London, England (CNN) -- Britain's Labour Party suspended four members of Parliament -- including three former Cabinet ministers -- after they were secretly filmed offering to sell their government influence, the party said Tuesday.

The party said it has launched an investigation of Geoff Hoon, Patricia Hewitt, Stephen Byers and Margaret Moran and suspended all four from the Parliamentary Labour Party. None of the four plans to run in the next election, expected to be held in May.

"The Labour Party expects the highest standards of its representatives and believes that they have a duty
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ft.com
www.businessweek.com

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I am really surprised that noone posted this yet. I heard it yesterday onthe radio and was quite literally in tears laughing.

It is so great to see at least some of the scumbags getting caught over their own stupidity. And everybody is acting so surprised that things like this are possible!

I am very interested in the uk members of ats opinion on this. Especially regarding the public view in Britain on all this.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think the general attitude is one of total un-surprise, to be honest. After the expenses scandal and those Labour MP's being hauled in front of court (they tried to use Parliamentary Privelidge to get out of criminal proceedings!), this is something we have come to expect from the snivelling group of parasites that is our Government.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hello from the UK. Yes, it was a sting by a journalist to see what MPs would lobby for a little money. Interestingly, most of those in question are due to stand down at the general election in a few weeks. So, personally they haven't very much to lose. This comes on the back of the expense abuse scandal which rocked parliament last year. We're used to the idea of politicians on the take and this comes as no surprise to the British public.

Politics has become a game show in this country and no one really takes the government seriously. There's a real lethargy among joe public in this country when it comes to the worrying about the system.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I think the general attitude is one of total un-surprise, to be honest. After the expenses scandal and those Labour MP's being hauled in front of court (they tried to use Parliamentary Privelidge to get out of criminal proceedings!), this is something we have come to expect from the snivelling group of parasites that is our Government.

As long as you're not talking about specifically this government, and speaking generally, then I couldn't agree more. It's got to the point, after reading years and years of this crap, that yesterday's story wasn't even 'news'. 'News', to me, is a politician of any political stripe not exploiting their position and not working towards their own interests. That goes for local government too. By and large, they're filth.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, as we used to say at school "Suspension is like being on holiday"
I personally feel they should be sacked on the spot and should have to live on the dole for 5 years.
Politcal partys should start using the slogan "Well crack down on parlimentary crime" instead of "We'll lower taxes blah blah blah"
Ahhh, the joys of politics.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
As another UK member, I agree with all of the above.
What I will say is that why are people shocked?

Ever since I was old enough to understand adult issues, there have been m.p.'s and ministers involved in sex scandals and corruption.

What is a surprise to me is the level of sheer greed which these people rose to, or lowered themselves to, depending on your point of veiw.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When the news broke it did bring a wry smile to my face, surprised? no, not really. It actually hacks me off that this government can spend so much on advertising about what will happen to you if you break this law or that law, when deep down these leaches (MP's) are the biggest law breakers of all.

They are still protesting their innocence!! they are so far out of touch with reality that they cannot see when they do wrong. Personally I would like to see them jailed.

new topics

top topics

join