It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graham proposes framework for handling terrorism suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Graham proposes framework for handling terrorism suspects

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) has submitted draft legislation to the White House in an effort to create a broad framework for handling terrorism suspects, mapping out proposals that appeal to the administration and others that do not, officials said.

Senior White House officials have begun briefing leading Democrats on Capitol Hill on the Graham proposal, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a matter under negotiation.

President Obama opposes some items that Graham has promoted publicly, such as the creation of a national security court to handle detainees, but the White House is urging Democrats to treat the proposal seriously as a way to break the logjam over the closure of the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and other detainee-related issues.

Certain ideas under discussion appear likely to yield a compromise, administration officials said. One promising area involves creating standard procedures for addressing detainees' petitions for habeas corpus, which force the government to make its case for continued detention, rather than leaving those decisions up to individual judges.

Read the full article here

Hmm... this is quite interesting. Since Obama lied and has not closed Guantanamo Bay like promised, this is the next best thing - bring those people detained some rights. Now I'm not saying real terrorists really deserve to even have a trial, although I guess everyone should have a chance, but if you're on camera, or are found with bomb making materials, and you kill hundreds/thousands of people then I can't really say you deserve much at all. But, we all know there are Americans being detained these days, it may be one of us sooner than later because of the new legislation passing about people speaking out against the government.

Sooner than later we will completely have all of our amendments taken away from us - freedom of speech is already being taken from us and we're being fined/arrested/shut-down because of it! ATS may be next!

I have to admit though that I'm happy someone is trying to do something positive here, people should not be detained indefinitely without having proper protocol. And since there really is no protocol at this time when it comes to Guantanamo Bay we do need something done about it.

new topics

join