It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it considered tax evasion if you dont pay the Health Insurance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Is it considered tax evasion if you dont pay the $650 annual fine for not having health insurance, or if you cant keep up with the payments? I heard that "it wont be labeled as tax" saying, so Im still a little confused about this.

One more thing, if you dont pay the fines for a few years or so, will the IRS really throw you in jail for not paying?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you make anything less than 400% of the federal poverty level, the government will give you money to help pay for health insurance.

If you don't have health insurance and refuse to get it, they'll probably take the amount out of your tax return.

If you don't file and your tax return would have been more than the amount (we'll call it $650) the government is not going to come after you for it because they already have it.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Fortunately for me, I live within the Commonwealth of VA right now. We have a new State Statute which forbids us from being held as slaves to Washington (Thank you Cuccinelli, Bolling, and McDonnell)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Is it considered tax evasion if you dont pay the Health Insurance?

now, yes.

And forget about due process. You have no right to a jury trial. The IRS will try you and convict you all on their own.

By the way, the IRS is a private corporation.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Not if you're getting a return greater than the amount owed...

Originally posted byTheAgentNineteen
Fortunately for me, I live within the Commonwealth of VA right now. We have a new State Statute which forbids us from being held as slaves to Washington (Thank you Cuccinelli, Bolling, and McDonnell)

Too bad you'll get a higher tax return from West Virginia for the same job and the same pay. Who wants that money anyway, right?

Edit: Bad coding.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by links234]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. I dont want the day to come in the next few years where people are getting sent to prison for not having healthcare. A situation where a child asks "Why is daddy in prison?" - "Because he didnt have health insurance, so hes going to be gone for a few years..."

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ahem...

H.R. 3590; Part 1; Chapter 48; SEC. 5000A; (g)(2)(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES- In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.

Daddy will not be going to prison for lack of health insurance.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The specific verbage was "i will be a tax but not be treated as a tax" if I recall.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
The specific verbage was "i will be a tax but not be treated as a tax" if I recall.

The reason why they have to call the fine a "tax" is because it gets around the 5th Amendment's "due process" clause.

In order for the government to impose a fine or penalty against you, they have to FIRST bring charges against you, THEN take you to court and get a conviction, FINALLY they can impose a fine and take your property.

(this means all traffic tickets and other such "fines" also violate due process)

By calling the fine a tax and having the IRS enforce it, they get around this clear violation of due process because article 1 section 8 says the government has the power to impose taxes without due process.

This is how the criminal federal courts will argue they are justified in claiming this bill is "constitutional". However, its clear that even if this fine is a tax, it still violates the apportionment clause of article 1 section 8. It also violates article 1 section 8 outright because nowhere does it say government has the authority regulate healthcare or mandate insurance policies.

The whole thing is one big fat f'ing joke.

Our federal courts are a joke.

The congress is a joke.

Its all a big joke to them.

They recognize NO limits on their power.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Just wanted to mention it sounds like you are as frustrated with these SOBs and their complete disregard for our constitution as I am. It's nice to see not everybody on here is in love with this garbage! Still while not being the only one is nice I don't suppose you have any ideas of what to do because even though they won't send you to jail for not paying your tax, yet, this bill is really about control anyways. So what do we do? Just take it again? Meh...

new topics

top topics

join