It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is truth anyway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
hello ats let me share some philosophy i have recently come across

the truth is like an expensive whore, she beds with anyone who has the coin to pamper her. do not overcomplicate life with the search for one unifying truth, there is none-vampire wars

well that is kinda how i am viewing things now, with a why bother attitude, however part of me still remains curious.
heres another little philosophy

we each have our own personal truth
when one is dominant his truth becomes accepted, when he fails, his personal truth is viewed as damnable lies by the very same people who would have accepted his truth.-vampire wars

why is it that we as human beings are obsessed with 'the truth'? why bother? how do we really know what is the truth and what is a lie? because of what we feel? well crimes arent solved with feelings so how can the truth be?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The "truth" are things that have been observed at some point, and passed down as becoming true. Because we haven't personally witnessed something, we can either take someone's word for it, or not believe it.

Like Jesus, was he the son of God, did he possess powers to heal and turn water into wine?
Probably, we are all son's of God and it's proven that anyone can possess amazing healing or mystical powers if they know how to tap into their inner-energy. And obviously at that time, that would give you a god-like label.

What I do... I just listen to everyone, respect their beliefs, and then come to conclusions with critical thought. Because no one has the "truth"...that's the crap of it. Truth is just a metaphor for "right", and "right" is just a metaphor for good.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
the truth is a model.

....eeerrrm.

i mean, like a concept model. into which everything in the universe has its natural place.

truth in discrete packets does not exist. truth is not a square, nor does it represent an individuality.

truth is a continuous system. truth is a circle, it represents a whole.

and as a model, we can map analogous parts onto one another in order to gain clearer understandings of exactly how everything works.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
There is only one type of truth. That is a truth that can not be denied, no matter where your mind is at. It is a common ground from which all things become perverted and twisted.

The judgment of Ego's always has a righteous side even though both sides are wrong and right at the same time. The truth shines through both of those realities and can be agreed upon if each person looks within themselves for the seed of every thought.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

right manbird, truth originally is that love to objective certainty moves in the sense of presence constantly
there where the confusion is coming from, talking about truth as a source like a god or truth like a fact of objective complexity end

there is no complexity truth is always same one that free love to intelligence presence certainty becoming real then more present stable together while truth always that free out abstractions making of objective whole present positive value to increase it for more presence positive value intelligence

i dont understand why i have such true belonging of truth while i am only what i decide for myself moves

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
You echo the great quote of PILATUS to YeShUaA (Jesus),
E VERITAS is what can be verified by hard reality, it's evident by witness of existance,

but what is 'factually apparent' is less than what can actually be proved
knowing to apply the rigors of 'scientific method' -and thus with the 'tried and true'
or 'shown to be true' we have a greater truth(!), experimentally established it's then a matter of 'knowing' in the 'yada-yada' sense (experential)!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Its alot like my ATS name.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

That is truth to a certain extent!

But it is not all, there is objective truth also. Truth is the fact. The existence itself is a fact - but what do we know about it? Nothing but subjetive experiences, which some ruthless people force to others as objective truth - allegorically - by pointing a gun on their head. Or cursing them into hell

-v

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Truth is simply truth. Do not try to overcomplicate it, because it really is that simple, it is so simple that I am finding it difficult to explain.
I'll give an example. The sun rises everyday on earth. Now lets say someone is kept in a closed room deep underground where he never sees the sun, he is never told about it. To him the sun does not exist. But that does not mean that the fact that sun rises everyday is false, or it is not the truth, though that particular person may deny it.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The truth is reality. It doesn't matter what you think or what you believe. You either accept the truth or you're deluded and living in a fantasy world. Recognizing the truth isn't always easy, however, and our eyes can deceive us.

The above image isn't moving, that's the truth. Doesn't matter if you think it's moving or if you believe it's moving or if you're absolutely sure you see it moving. None of that changes reality one iota.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Truth is simply truth. Do not try to overcomplicate it

Exactly

Did you eat that special cake I baked for someone else ?

Did you steal ten dollars from my purse ?

Did you exceed the speed limit ?

Did you drink and drive ?

Did you betray your spouse by sleeping with someone else ?

Did you kick that puppy ?

Yes or no ? No need to spin it

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
hello ats let me share some philosophy i have recently come across

the truth is like an expensive whore, she beds with anyone who has the coin to pamper her. do not overcomplicate life with the search for one unifying truth, there is none-vampire wars

well that is kinda how i am viewing things now, with a why bother attitude, however part of me still remains curious.
heres another little philosophy

we each have our own personal truth
when one is dominant his truth becomes accepted, when he fails, his personal truth is viewed as damnable lies by the very same people who would have accepted his truth.-vampire wars

why is it that we as human beings are obsessed with 'the truth'? why bother? how do we really know what is the truth and what is a lie? because of what we feel? well crimes arent solved with feelings so how can the truth be?

There is a universal truth. 1 plus 1 = 2. There is a infinite universal moral truth also, but I cant put it into numbers. But its there.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Theone2000]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

truth can be devised by the following formula:

observation + logic * communal verification = truth.

base logic never fails.....

"if .. then" ...

this will provide you with the truth you seek.

even down to the last emotional bubble burst or illusionary divisionary world...

all is one.. all truth is a static field of NOW.

don't get what i'm saying?

you're confusing opinion with absolute truth

"opinion"... tends to be a product of a perspective that has been polluted with emotional differences that are stemming from an autonomic nature of animalistic survival.. for humans.. concentrated in the ego.
AND/OR "opinion" .. is also merely a result of a set of misconstrued/mispercieved data... inconclusive data.. incomplete data... based on the prospect at hand.

absolute truth cares nothing for these aberrances called "opinion"..

it just "is"... unbiasedly...

you're confusing two separate concepts....

opinion.. which is either completely false..
OR it is perceived false yet absolute truth...(or certain gradations thereof)

and .. absolute truth.. which is at the end -all- be -all... ...literally .."just the facts ma'am"....

-

[edit on 22-3-2010 by prevenge]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Websters

Truth- the actual state of a matter. To conform with the fact of the matter.
A verified or indisputible fact. The state of character being true.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
There is relative truth - that which is true within the realm of a specific context, and there is absolute truth - that which is true regardless of context.

Relative truth is the kind of truth that you seem to be describing, and yes, this version of truth fluxuates with changes in the contextual environment that contains it.

Absolute truth is like A+B=C therefore C-A=B, whereas relative truth is where you assign specific identifiers to the letters in this equation (adding context) and cause the equation to possibly become false as a result. Ex; A=coffee, B=chocolate and C=mocha. Suddenly this equation is no longer an equation, but becomes a recipe that is only half true (Coffee + Chocolate = Mocha therefore Mocha - Coffee = Chocolate) since in truth, once blended, the Chocolate cannot actually be subtracted from the Coffee, and anyone knows that.

The context that has been added to this logic equation (A=Coffee, B=Chocolate and C=Mocha) has changed the mechanics of the equation itself, and has changed the equation from being true to being false. This is what context does to truth. Once context is introduced, absolute truth is no longer possible. The statement can still be true, but it is always subject to potential revision, since that truth is now vulnerable to shifts in contextual relationships within that truth or between that truth and whatever else that may exist that impacts that truth.

Absolute truth is extremely simple. Relative truth can be infinitely complex.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
Truth is simply truth. Do not try to overcomplicate it, because it really is that simple, it is so simple that I am finding it difficult to explain.
I'll give an example. The sun rises everyday on earth. Now lets say someone is kept in a closed room deep underground where he never sees the sun, he is never told about it. To him the sun does not exist. But that does not mean that the fact that sun rises everyday is false, or it is not the truth, though that particular person may deny it.

Not really.
There is no truth or lie, only different perspectives.

You say it's true that the sun rises everyday on earth. I say that's not the truth.
I say the sun does not "rise", but the earth is rotating around it's axis, giving us the appearance of a rising sun.

You see, we are both telling the "truth", we just have different perspectives.
We can view EVERYTHING in this manner.

How can you be sure that there even is a sun?
Have you been there? I'm pretty sure you havent. All you've seen are pictures, like everyone else. Maybe it's just a giant flashlight, with a holographic projection of a "sun" installed by some alien life form.

Is it possible that there is an invisible layer of some kind of dark matter, unkown to human kind, enveloping all planets in our solar system, bending all light coming our way, and thus giving us a false appearance of our sun and everything else in the universe? I dont see why not, anything is possible. You said it yourself, just beacuse we cant see something doesnt mean it isnt there.

So you see, you cant say this is the truth, or this is a lie.
To you something may appear as true, but to someone with a different perspective it appears to be the opposite.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

hi goodfella, you say so i guess for what you dont want to separate subjective true and objective truth, and my guess is that you are a god lover that is the professionnal of mixing everything together and say being the king only one

you cant say about truth being a matter of perspective, it is crazy if there is a perspective first it is easily justified second it is never a truth
truth is a certainty that determin conditions of all existence from its relation to its objective absolute life

that is why it is always easy to recognize a truth it is the most obvious since nothing can contradict it then it is the only thing absolutely positive anywhere

and please truth cannot be equal to lies, when lies exist only from truth reference

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Truth is simply truth. Do not try to overcomplicate it

Exactly

Did you eat that special cake I baked for someone else ?

Did you steal ten dollars from my purse ?

Did you exceed the speed limit ?

Did you drink and drive ?

Did you betray your spouse by sleeping with someone else ?

Did you kick that puppy ?

Yes or no ? No need to spin it

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Dock9]

interesting point but, not all questions are that simple
there are people out there who say that the truth isn't an answer like many of us would think.
there are statements out there like "jesus is the truth"
stuff like that but i don't know. But how can a person be the truth?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella

Originally posted by kaleshchand

Not really.
There is no truth or lie, only different perspectives.

You say it's true that the sun rises everyday on earth. I say that's not the truth.
I say the sun does not "rise", but the earth is rotating around it's axis, giving us the appearance of a rising sun.

You see, we are both telling the "truth", we just have different perspectives.
We can view EVERYTHING in this manner.

How can you be sure that there even is a sun?
Have you been there? I'm pretty sure you havent. All you've seen are pictures, like everyone else. Maybe it's just a giant flashlight, with a holographic projection of a "sun" installed by some alien life form.

Is it possible that there is an invisible layer of some kind of dark matter, unkown to human kind, enveloping all planets in our solar system, bending all light coming our way, and thus giving us a false appearance of our sun and everything else in the universe? I dont see why not, anything is possible. You said it yourself, just beacuse we cant see something doesnt mean it isnt there.

So you see, you cant say this is the truth, or this is a lie.
To you something may appear as true, but to someone with a different perspective it appears to be the opposite.

sounds to me like there is no unifying truth from that statement
interesting post

as for the invisible lair and fake sun makes me wonder if were all just hooked up to some virtual reality that we think is real like the matrix lol
very thought invoking

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Truth is the Ultimate, the Absolute, that which truly exists, the Eternal Reality behind all things corporeal.

top topics

join