It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sergeant Ray Holmes : british ww2 hero : please read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Sergeant Ray Holmes : british ww2 hero : please read

www.bbm.org.uk

Sergeant Ray Holmes was a highly experienced pilot by the time of the Battle of Britain. He had joined the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (RAFVR) soon after its formation in 1936. Indeed he was only the fifty-fifth man to join.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.howlingbanshee.com

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hey all,

This is my first post on the forums, i have been an avid reader and watcher on the website for some time but have never really wanted to post..
This is a topic i thought i would bring up seeing as most of the topics are a little depressing and this is hopefully a lighter topic to highlight the heroics of the few.
like the great winston churchill said : "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"
My eldest son has started to learn ww2 history in school and ww2 has been a big part of my life...my grandfather worked in the raf building the planes these guys flew.
I would love this topic to become a kind of historical heroism, personal accounts of bravery and also the team/brotherly accounts..kind of like the stories in band of brothers..
my son will be looking at this post for research purposes..so please keep this clean, not that i can see it getting dirty..

The history of ww2 needs to be learnt by all of us and the closer we can get to learning the personal story's, the better imo.

There are so many books which include personal storys, but the readers might have family members who could enlighten us to what they did for us...

We owe them this gratitude for what they did as kids.

My heart goes out to all the people, not just the fighters who lived it.

crazy times, but necessary to fight, This and ww1 is probably the only time i would enlist for the armed forces, now...never in a million years would i or any of my children be fightin for phony wars.

Some people have there own conspiracy theories about all the wars, but the bottom line about ww1 and ww2 is the need to have fought against the axis.

I belive most of our wars were set ups..but this topic isnt about the conspiracy, its about heroism.

I thank you before hand for your help in making this a very helpful and learning experience.

Sondoobie

www.bbm.org.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sondoobie

Welcome to ATS. I like the sentiment behind this thread and flagged it for being your first and having a good message.

I admire the men and the women who acted beyond the call of duty during the wars. Pushed to the extremes, people often surprise themselves with their capacity to put the safety of others first. One person can overcome their worst fears and accomplish something extraordinary.

For all the recipients of medals like the Victoria Cross (WW II), there were many more that never saw recognition.

join