It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Blood (Outer Limits). The Universe is one big organism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ok, I tried posting this in the right forum but I could not as I'm under 20 posts *sigh*. Anyway I'm posting this thread today to entertain the Idea that the whole universe is a organism, and we are just part of the organism. This idea can even be seen here on earth, as the earths systems interact with one another to keep things going. I just feel as though this is very possible and if you feel the same or not please post your ideas, I want to hear it all. I first heard of this idea from an Outer Limits Ep called In the Blood I will post details about it below, and it goes as follows:

The episode opens with Callie Whitehorse Landau (Irene Bedard), an astrophysicist of Navajo heritage, and her husband Alec (Cameron Daddo), an expert in space medicine, discussing their recent loss of their unborn child "Amanda", to a spontaneous abortion. Shortly after this scene, they are visited by NASA Flight Crew Director James Dreeden (Greg Evigan) and are asked to embark on an astounding exploratory mission through an apparent rip in time and space. Along with Dr. Louisa Kennedy (Helene Joy), a navigation expert, the small team of four passes through a quantum hole torn into the very fabric of the universe and enter another continuum, a trans-space just beneath its surface. It is unlike anything the crew has ever seen — but for Callie, trans-space triggers vivid hallucinations and a powerful realization that their presence has caused a serious imbalance in the universal order. Dreeden is determined to return to Earth with their startling discoveries, but Callie is convinced the survey ship's re-entry could have disastrous consequences for all of humanity.

In The Blood (Outer Limits)

Hulu: Outer Limits: In the Blood

I hope you enjoy the episode, I can't wait to hear all your Ideas, also if a MOD comes across this could you place it in the right forum. Thank you all!

[edit on 13-3-2010 by spmc215]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well, I fear it is not long before this thread is deleted because you really can't present topical threads in your intro. Get 20 posts! It's easy!

But, it's an interesting idea. I think that the fact of the matter is that there is no fundamental difference between organisms and anything else. Organisms are just remarkably well defined, complex, and coherent chemical systems. You can say they have to have DNA or cells or whatever, and as far as we know that's true of all organisms on earth, but I think that definition is somewhat arbitrary from an absolute perspective.

When we refer to an organism we are refering to something with certain properties. Being an organism is not a property in itself. I think that depending on how exactly we define organism, we can consider a lot of different things as organisms. Perhaps even the universe itself.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What an interesting theory. It would make for a very interesting sci-fi book.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Oh, I didn't notice the "an" in organism.

I believe the universe is a massive computer game, and we are all aspects of God playing with/against each other.

It's more fun than just being the one and only god, boredly contemplating the place where your navel would be if you weren't god.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just like a theory i had not to long ago. I call it the CELL theory. We are all cells of something much bigger, just like how there are cells within ourselfs.

-Traveler

top topics

join