It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosts! What are they?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Okay, so I'm setting up a paranormal research group. Well, we're set up, but we're in early stages due to lack of time, equipment and a lot of other stuff going on right now!
One of the things I want to do is just put all of this stuff out there, sort of make us a little file so we don't lose our heads and go crazy, with all the data I can think of.
Basically I was wondering what you guys think of this so far, and if you have anything to add?

So these are possibilities of what 'ghosts' are. A lot revolve around energy, mainly because energy is something that surely has to go somewhere after a person dies. I'm leaving the reincarnation, resurrection and plain hoaxes out of this since it isn't what we're specifically looking for right now!

Spirits, souls or apparitions of the dead who are stuck in this plane
the most commonly thought of explanation for people witnessing and/or communicating with ghosts is that they are the souls/spirits of the dead. This would explain how people can communicate with them, as well as how they sometimes know they are dead plus how they can interact with the environment. Since they are dead, they are only partly here so they aren’t as solid or always visible; sometimes you just get a sense of it.
It also gives an indication of some sort of afterlife (which is a comfort to most) but doesn’t explain how/why they got stuck or why they haven’t passed over, or what the afterlife is like. This also can’t be scientifically proven.

Imprint of energy
in a traumatic event, where the energy from our body leaves quickly (with death) and violently, it could be possible for this energy to be residually left behind and not move on.
This doesn’t really explain communication though or manipulation of the environment physically as an energy source could not react to what people ask. On the other hand it does explain the EMF flux, temperature changes and atmospheric changes.

Echo of the past replaying
after a traumatic event, the same event gets replayed when the conditions are right or when it is tripped somehow. Doesn’t explain all phenomena (manipulation of environment, communication) but would explain the residual spirits which don’t communicate or act as though they can interact with what is going on.

Stone tape theory
certain types of rock may be able to store energy and play back what has happened if there is enough of it. De-ja-vu etc. (Problems as above) Not all ghosts relive traumatic events! But, then again, if you store a lot of positive energy about a place and die there, this could come into effect.
Then this brings us to the problem of hauntings where something didn't die...

Time slips
if time isn’t linear, and everything that has ever happened is still happening at once, then time could slip and we see an echo of the past. This could explain how not all of the ‘ghosts’ we can see have been left behind from great emotion, and how some can seem confused at why you are in ‘their place’. This could also explain why they tend to walk through buildings at the height which the floor would have been then, and the surges of energy which surround them (EM energy could be time tearing). This could also go to show why people believe to have seen themselves in various points of time.

Dimension slips
similar to above, but the tear is between dimensions and parallel worlds instead of timelines. Still goes off the theory that everything which is happening is happening at once. But then how would the spirit answer ‘yes’ to the question ‘do you know you are dead?’ as some do?

I've got other stuff coming along too, about different types, equipment, how to debunk styff, what can happen... Basically, I've been compiling research in my spare time now and am in the stages of putting it together in a readable form for my guys, and thought I'd share it on here for anyone who, like me, uses these boards as a way to find things out and might have an interest in this sorta stuff themselves!

Would appreciate any feedback possible, and anything you think I can add in or I'll find useful!

Thanks in advance!

Ay x

[Edited due to appauling presentation!]

[edit on 12/3/2010 by Ayana]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ghosts are merely souls who have unfinished business here to settle and don't necessarily want to cross over to the recycle bin just yet until it is resolved.

Because time as we know it is non existent in the spiritual realm, this haunting and/or apparition can continue on from our time based perspective for an eternity.

Thats why we have hauntings associated to not only buildings but locations, long after the structures are gone.

I feel that this also has much to do with why we see more ghosts as a result of individuals whom have died a violent/untimely death than those that have died a peaceful one.

They are revealing themselves as best as they can as ghosts due to their being upset that they died unexpectedly with unfinished business in this world. And they need to convey a message or something to someone that can help make the situation right.

I have seen a number of instances where a psychic has tuned into a soul of a victim of a murder to eventually apprehend and prosecute their killer.

In fact, psychics were used to catch John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer, when they had established contact with a missing high school student who directed them to Gacy's home and his eventual arrest for the student's murder as well as countless others.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by nh_ee]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
There is a "new" school of though coming out that separate ghosts into types i.e. spirits and ghost, but for this post I will be lumping them together.
I have no source other than a lifetime of experience.

1) Souls (spirits) of dead people who have some unfinished buisiness, or who are waiting for their time, or who refuse to acknowledge that they are dead.

2) Astral beings, usually these will not cause problems unless provoked.

3) Sleeping people undergoing an OOBE, they may or may not know that they are under going an OOBE and may or may not be conscious(actively participating in the OOBE), This is the main reason for there being far more ghosts at night.

4) Negative energy either directed by someone's will or just a manifestation of their thoughts.

5) An astral being bound by someone to do something by someone, You will not find this unless someone around there practisces occult or the like (or sends it there). These are the hardest and toughest to deal with. Be very careful if you encounter these.

Those 5 are the ones you can interact with. then there are recordings time slips etc that you cannot intercat with.

join