It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trembling Earth, Wobbly Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
TREMBLING EARTH, WOBBLY STARS: In Chile, astronomers know the ground is still shaking. They can see it in the stars. Colin Legg reports from the Andes east of Santiago: "I made this 88-second exposure on Sunday night, Feb. 28th, less than 24 hours after the big 8.8-magnitude quake. It records the movement of the Earth in the star trails during an earth tremor."

Earthquake experts say the shaking will continue for months. Indeed, in the days after the "Big One", Chilean seismometers have recorded more than 10 aftershocks in the range 6th to 7th magnitude, and more than 200 aftershocks stronger than 4th magnitude. A tip for astrophotographers: Keep your exposure times short. The stars over Chile could be wobbling for some time to come.

Well this is the first time I have heard of this one, 200 Aftershocks more than 4 mag. Looking at IRIS they are indeed continuing, seems to be one after another. Hope everyone is Chile is over the worst, I will be keeping a close eye on this though.

Edit: spaceweather.com...

[edit on 3-3-2010 by NotAgain]

edited 'All Caps' in title.

[edit on 3/3/10 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAgain

Nice thread, very cool.

Yep this quake ranked up there. What was it, the top ten? The awesome power of this particular earthquake is just incredible. What I also find equally amazing is that the tsunami was relatively mild. One would think an earthquake of this magnitude and given the area in which it occurred, would have generated a tsunami of biblical proportions.

But yet, and thankfully, it didn't.

~ Zeus

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Heres the Pic:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e2943b54828.jpg[/atsimg]

But the link you have is much better quality.

Its a really powerfull visual representation of how big this quake was, We are used to seeing destruction on the ground, but for it to make the earth wobble, and change axis so visibily is powerfull indeed.

Cool find Thanks.

Elf

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Isn't there prophetic symbolism in that the stars shall dance around or something like that? Very cool image. I wonder if prophets saw there vision from places where earthquakes were occurring giving the appearances of the heavens moving around from their perspective.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Yea scary thought indeed, I hope soon with all the data they are collecting they can predict quakes. To be honest though I think it will be an amateur who makes the discovery, then elite will get hold of it and it will never see light again like so many other things.

Also been thinking "This can't help weather patterns" you know like the whole earth shaking, there have just been a few big aftershocks in Chile again today. I try not to fall for all the doom and gloom "But this craps happening"

[edit on 3-3-2010 by NotAgain]

top topics

join