It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

polyphasic/Uberman sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Since I already have a messed up sleep schedule (college student, go figure), I've started looking into alternative sleep schedules. In my searches, I've come across what's known as "polyphasic sleep", which is basically where you sleep in several short periods during the day instead of one long period (monophasic). One type of polyphasic sleep cycle is known as Uberman's, with the ideal cycle being something like six 20-30 minute naps during the day. Allegedly great figures such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Edison, and Buckminster Fuller followed this type of schedule for at least part of their lives.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with polyphasic sleep, follows a polyphasic schedule, or knows of any health issues that can result from this? From what I've been able to find, little documented research has been performed, but those who do follow this type of schedule report greater energy, while having more productive time during the day. Here's a couple links documenting people's attempts:

www.everything2.com...
polyphasic.blogspot.com...
www.kuro5hin.org...

If this type of cycle is in fact perfectly healthy, I think it could be a great aid to society in our 24/7 world. Maybe a revolution in the day/night paradigm? What do you think?

[Edited on 5/31/2004 by PurdueNuc]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I will tell you whats more amazing is that I was thinking about this earlier this morning. I didn't know the techincal term for it, it evolved from me taking a nap yesterday evening. lol.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I had a good college friend that did this. It worked pretty good for a while but then problems started to develop: when his 20 min. nap time came he had to find a place to rest beause he'd shut down on the spot. So you have to have easy access to a bed. Secondly, I noticed, he aged faster than normal. Now this might be genetic, but he didn't age like that before.

So I would be careful. One trick you can do is sleep like 6 hours at night and take a 1 or 2 hour nap during the day.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I worked nights from when my child was a newborn until early school age.
I slept for short periods as and when I could. This resulted in me being permanantly tired, I had difficulty in sleeping through the night when I had the chance, and it took a good 2 years to be able to sleep normally after I quit nights.

There's also health risks associated with late shift/night workers.

Other studies have found higher rates of cardiac and other health problems.

I would think this could also apply to your sleep pattern.

For the rest of the article

www.healthcentral.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I had very poor parental supervision over sleep during my high school years. So from that point to pretty much now I've stayed up as late as a I please. I have perament tired eyes and I pretty much always feel tired.

I would not mess around with you sleep schedule, esp. if you can naturally get a good nights sleep. You are blessed if you can.

new topics

top topics

join