It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Iceberg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

A MONSTER iceberg the size of LUXEMBOURG has broken off a glacier in Antarctica — prompting fears it could change the world's weather. The 2,500sq/km block — which holds enough water to fill the Thames 100 times — was dislodged by another iceberg that broke away 23 years ago. Researchers have expressed alarm that the vast iceberg will disrupt the world's ocean currents and climate.

The area around the glacier is a key zone for the creation of dense, salty water — known as bottom water — that plays an important part in global ocean circulation. Australian glaciologist Neal Young said that any disruption to the production of bottom water — which icebergs release — would affect ocean currents, and weather patterns.

He said: "This area accounts for about 25 per cent of the production of bottom water in Antarctica, and therefore it will reduce the overturning circulation rate. "You won't see it immediately, but it has downstream effects. And it will also have implications for penguins and other wildlife in the region that normally use this area for feeding." Mr Young said satellite imagery showed the new iceberg broke off the Mertz Tongue Glacier two weeks ago.

imo i think this is just scare tactics...more fuel for the global warming melting ice caps fire.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Interesting. Do you have a link to the source?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
there is a thread on this already with a link to the news article, if you want more info its on there

other topic

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There is a Thread covering this Topic on this Forum already posted before this one.

It is here:

Giant Iceberg Could Change Weather Patterns

Unless a Mod or Admin request it please continue the discussion on the above Thread.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well in my country they explicitly mentioned that the iceberg break was not related to global warming.

So I do not know if it is a global warming scare tactic. Ocean currents do have effect on the climate regardless the role of global warming.

At least that is what I have come to know as mainly accepted. I did not discover it so I will not know for certain until I do.

top topics

join