It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point in responding to posts that agree with you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I remember seeing a topic on the rant-section a while ago asking what the point in is responding to posts that disagree with you. I was just thinking about that topic while I've been making various contributions to ATS. I guess I take the opposite view here.

I don't know what the value is of responding to posts that I agree with unless I want to help people gain more insight or knowledge. But, I assume that the people who agree with me know pretty much what I know on the subject and probably view things in the same way I do. People who agree with me can also be a help when debating with other people who have opposing views.

But, I don't see the need to respond to posts that agree with me because otherwise like I've seen on other topics on other boards most of the time when a lot of people who agree with each other who post about something it becomes somewhat of a circle-jerk. It becomes a repetitious cycle where the people agreeing with each other are talking about why they agree with it, and, they block out opposing views. I don't want to perpetuate that non-sense here to ATS.

So I ask. Just what is the value of responding to posts I agree with?

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
For the most part, I just give a star rather than clutter the thread with redundancy, but sometimes I just "feel a need" to put in my two cents even though I am just repeating.

Haven't figured out why though, unless it is to sort of be a part of a non-existent poll going on in said thread.

Edit to add:

It's like if there are 6 viewpoints that are against the OP and only 3 for, and I am also for, I will make a post just to try and "even the score".

It's petty when you think about it, but at the time, it just makes sense.

[edit on 2/25/2010 by tribewilder]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
So I ask. Just what is the value of responding to posts I agree with?

Maybe the benefit is just lending support to an opinion....or showing a different path to a similar view. Maybe your agreeable post will simply allow another expand on a vaguely covered point. Feedback is valuable no matter the anticipated result as it can inspire others....or even you.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
What's the point in responding to posts that agree with you?

I absolutely agree.

________

See what i did there?

top topics

join