It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Great Magnetic Filament' on the sun finally erupted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

OH, SNAP! The 'Great Magnetic Filament' on the sun that we've been tracking for the past week finally erupted yesterday

spaceweather.com

The 'Great Magnetic Filament' on the sun that we've been tracking for the past week finally erupted yesterday.

Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) images bracket the eruption between 0719 and 1919 UT on Feb. 24th. The event did not produce a bright solar flare, as sometimes happens when filaments erupt, but there was a coronal mass ejection (CME). SOHO coronagraphs observed at least one and possibly as many as three clouds billowing away from the sun. If any of this material is hea
(visit the link for the full news article)

Supporting sites
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
this is way outside of my paygrade, but I know we got the talent to analyze this information and tell us whether or not we have anything to worry about. I can tell you one thing though the size of this "pop" in relation to the sun itself is quite massive and I can only imagine the affect it might have on the little blue ball, provided it is in fact heading our way which would put it here either the 27th or 28th from what has been discussed. We clocked it at approximately 9000mph. So hopefully we will hear from the experts here on this one shortly.

spaceweather.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It sounds like we have a chance for this to put on an interesting show for earth. I guess we will see on the 27th, I'm betting they get some amazing pictures at the very least.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I am not an expert on this subject. But after reading posts by 'phage' and alot this subject recently I would have to say nothing serious will happen. We may see something happen since everything is unpredictable but this does not look threatening. But I guess we just have to wait and see.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I've heard that massive solar flares and CME can create huge changes on the earth about a week later. So, I guess we'll have to see what happens around March 1st here on earth. Hopefully no more natural disasaters. God knows we've all had too many of those lately.

But if there is another natural disaster in about a week, then I guess all those prophecies that said that major disasters would be picking up in 2010 may have been correct. I guess all we can do is wait and see...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
"San Francisco and Damascus, will be uninhabitable by the end of 2010, possibly even sooner. Again, it depends upon certain 'forces' at play, and which timelines are activated......There will be dramatic changes to your climate and weather conditions over the next few years, as the time of the Great Harvest approaches. You will see windspeeds surpassing 300 miles per hour at times. There will be raging tsunamis and widespread devastation; and a solar emission in late 2009 early 2010 that will cause major melting of the ice caps, and subsequent drastic rise in sea levels, leaving many (international) metropolitan areas underwater." - Hidden_Hand

Could this be the solar event Hidden_Hand spoke about causing all kinds of flooding and damage in late 2009/early 2010?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Poopra

This is an extremely good point. If this is the solar emission Hidden_Hand was speaking of and it comes to pass this time (or before mid-2010), it adds a lot of credibility to what he was saying. A solar emission doing that much damage is uncommon, and for it to happen in that specific time frame would be more than a coincidence.

But I'm sure Phage would disagree.

[edit on 2/25/2010 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I don't think many filaments have been observed, at least not recently. I feel good to have seen one form, get larger and then erupt.

I wonder if any satellites will be effected? Maybe GPS will go down for a bit?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Anyone conviniently forgot this?.... We had the Chile earthquake occur right when the effects of the CMEs from the enormous filament were to arrive on Earth on the 27th or 28th.... I wonder why some people "conviniently" forgot this.....

BTW, even Phage himself admitted not to know anything about this.

The man was even unawares of the fact that any large fluctuations on the Earth's magnetic field can cause earthquakes, and such a large filament, which hasn't been observed before to have been this long, or to last as long as it did, it lasted for 7 days, will affect the magnetic field of Earth and cause earthquakes.

I don't know what is it with so many people trusting someone who is completely ignorant of these facts.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

There is another large filament on the sun today and is about 3 or 4 days away from being earth facing. Just as with the last filament Spaceweather.com are sugesting that should the filament collapse we should look our for "Hyder Flares". I just found it interesting you should bring this up today the very same day spaceweather report on this new filament. We sure live in interesting times!!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Poopra

I don't know who this "Hidden_Hand is" but what he/she describes is very similar to what Ed Dames has described would happen in our not too distant future.

Ed Dames has spoken of the changes in the Sun, and that it's activity would increase in the future releasing what he calls the "kill-shot".

There would be 300 mph winds, and many disasters on Earth, with large tsunamis of over a mile high.

He even spoke of "the shot accross the bow" which would be the bigest solar flare ever reported but that it would miss us. This happened in 2003.

He, and his remote viewers have been talking about the high activity on the Sun, and the massive solar flares it would produce, but people just laughed at this. Now we even have a physicist like Michu Kaku going on the record and stating that the Sun would produce massive solar flares in 2012... go figure...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

Thanks, btw, to see how large was the last filament and to see it snap you can look on the following link.

scotteallen.net...

Click on the image of the Sun and filament to see it snap. However, you don't see the CMEs produced by it in that image.

But you can see the CMEs here.

spaceweather.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Well you'll be pleased to know that there are two more large magnetic filaments, if one of these collapses it could create a Hyder flare.

More about it here.

Did you know about this one? or were you blinded by your Phage-envy?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Well you'll be pleased to know that there are two more large magnetic filaments, if one of these collapses it could create a Hyder flare.

More about it here.

Did you know about this one? or were you blinded by your Phage-envy?

Pleased?.... I am not "pleased"... first of all, I wasn't the first member to mention this and post a thread about it, second of all the deaths of people doesn't "please me"..... Third of all being envious of Phage?....

No thanks, I am not envious of a man that does not even admit when he is wrong. I am not talking just about this. He has claimed that there has been no link between magnetic events in the Solar System and earthquakes, as well as making other claims which were wrong. But since you are talking about envy, you must be envious yourself about something. I would go check a shrink about it because you can get an ulcer from it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
BTW, if the large filament on the northern hemisphere of the Sun collapses I would say a large earthquake or more would occur in the northern hemisphere of Earth. Or at least very high seismic, or even magmatic activity.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
In Hannes Alfvens cosmogony, he details how electromagnetic plasma environment shapes planetary formation.

Maybe people will begin to pay attention... and go back to read his 20th century papers and books..

p.s. the person mentioned by you guys is Pseudo Skeptic imo, but has garnered the reputation of a mere skeptic. They are two different animals, one disguised as the other.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Ionized]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Now we even have a physicist like Michu Kaku going on the record and stating that the Sun would produce massive solar flares in 2012... go figure...

Wow, a mainstream pompous shill, admitting something like this? That is impressive.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ionized

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Now we even have a physicist like Michu Kaku going on the record and stating that the Sun would produce massive solar flares in 2012... go figure...

Wow, a mainstream pompous shill, admitting something like this? That is impressive.

I believe he said could not would, Hell a huge CME could erupt at anytime, he know as much as us in that regard.

CME prediction is still in it's infancy, so there is no way to know what's coming next week or next year.

What we do know though, is the sun has cycles, I'm sure you know about these cycles.

The prediction for the 2012 solar max was based off information and knowledge from before 2009. Since the solar minimum has carried on longer than predicted, the estimated date for the maximum is now set some time during 2013.

[edit on 8/3/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Also...

Cycle 24 is expected to be nowhere near as severe as far as sunspot numbers go as initially anticipated...For example, in January 09, Cycle 24 was expected to peak in September/October 2012 with approximately 135 sunspots per month.

In March 2010, however, Cycle 24 was expected to peak in September/October 2013 with approximately 90 sunspots per month.

Obviously the number of sunspots is not necessarily indicative of the number of and extent of any flares which may be produced from said spots, however many solar scientists believe there is a correlation between actual sunspot numbers and the level of associated solar activity that accompanies them in the way of flares and so on...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
The prediction for the 2012 solar max was based off information and knowledge from before 2009. Since the solar minimum has carried on longer than predicted, the estimated date for the maximum is now set some time during 2013.

Yet the Sun seems to waking up, and seems to be mad, if it can be called so.

We have never witnessed anything like the large filament that occurred, and lasted 7 days. These filaments collapse in hours, and yet now we have two of these filaments, so it seems that the Sun is reacting and it's activity could get much worse.

We have had other threads that show the Solar System has moved into a new region of space that is highly magnetised, and this would affect the Sun, and the planets.

Then there is the fact that we are now receiving 19% more space radiation than ever before seen. At least in the time that we have been monitoring space, and it is predicted that the radiation will continue increasing, a fact that I predicted some years back in these same boards.

We also have the Earth's magnetic field being weaker than it has been for hundreds of thousands of years, and there are large breaches which form, and can form at any time because of this weakening. This means that anything that happens to the Sun, or any changes in the dynamics of the Soalr System will affect the Earth more than before.

top topics

join