It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

77 Caprice Estate Wagon 305/ 2blcarb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hello,

I got myself this little car, it's so cute! Wood looking panels!
Before I go and r&r the heads, I want to see if someone can help me troubleshoot a noise I thought would be corrected if I made sure the timing was set at right degree BTC; 8. The sound/noise only happens during initial acceleration/load conditions. You know that sound; chugging/clicking? I suppose it could be sticking lifters, but ran some treatment that didn't solve the issue either...

Because it's a classic, I want to run straight back from high performance headers into flowmasters to keep the neighbors on the next block guessing!!! That, or up past ten o'clock!!! J/K

So, before I go and do the exhaust, what's to save me from buying a new set of heads? I drive it everyday, can't put it up in no shop just yet. Try some more chemtool? Any products out there better than good 'ol chemtool?

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Sometimes that clicking can be a leak where the exhaust manifold is attached to the head. Installing headers would solve it of course.

Also, being a 77, it would probably take more than one treatment to unstick the lifters if it is indeed them that are sticking.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I can't answer the tech question but I wanted to wish you luck. I'm trying to visualize the wagon. I had a `78 Olds Classic, which was a smallish wagon. Came with a 305 also. Fun little car. Real imitation woodgrain-like substance on the sides and everything

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Hello,
Yeah, I think another treatment of chemtool is in order. I've had the valve covers off to change the gaskets and saw all the sludgy gunk. I figure the last 1500 miles on this oil-change should do, hopefully. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Hello, Thanks.

I was being semi-sarcastic about it being little. It's pretty large actually!
I'm going to put on some rally racing wheels. Maybe lower it a bit. Put in some audio so in case the exhaust don't keep my neighbors awake after ten, the next block over, the stereo will!!!
Now all I need is that windfall to materialize!!!

top topics

join