It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government killed drinkers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

Originally posted by Republican08
I'm looking really suspiciously at my cigarette now......

Really suspiciously....

Ok, my new rule in voting... vote for whoever DOESN'T want to kill you!

Me too.

What about hemp (weed)? Do any of you think something similar could be at hand?

Well, AIDS was invented to kill off Gays, Black people and intravenous drug users.

It just popped up in the 80's after hundreds of years of gays, black people and intravenous drug users.

So, it's suspect. But it backfired because it's a pathogen. Now women get it, kids get it. Nobody that has sex anywhere is safe now.

Various permutations of hepatitis are likely lab creations as well and of course flu strains and so on.

Blatant poisoning is not really en vogue these days.

Just wars, microscopic diseases, artificial economic disaster, artificially produced starvation and of course a wealth of apathy are the real weapons of mass destruction. Oh, and small arms of course, which are sold in loads and loads to various warlords who then use them to actually wipe out hordes and hordes of people!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Don't drink. Problem solved.

Would poisoning a supply of alcohol that was knowingly used for human consumption be a good way to stop people from drinking? Sure. It is also a good way to commit premeditated murder. The ends justify the means mentality is disturbing.

Don't tell me what to do. I am a grown-a** man. If I liked to drink, MY drinking would not effect you in any way. Oh NO! There are people at my house, and we are having fun without you. You must find some way to make that illegal and send us to jail.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Let us never forget! The top three killers in America are Caffiene, Tobacco & Alcohol! The biggest problem with alcohol use is where to draw the line with this substance which appears naturally in all fermenting liquids, and which in small to moderate doses is not only a relaxant and a social lubricator, but also a health tonic.

Alcohol is the most widely accepted drug in the world, and is part of many social settings.It changes a person's mood, reduces inhibitions, helps us feel more confident and less anxious.It is often a part of celebrations and can be used to drown out unpleasant feelings.

Alcohol abuse often begins when a person feels that without alcohol he or she will not be able to enjoy the occasion or will be less able to cope with an unchanging situation. Dependency follows when the body becomes used to a certain level of blood alcohol.Withdrawal in someone who's heavily dependent should not be undertaken without medical supervision.

What is it?
Alcohol is a carbohydrate, a relative of sugar, and is therefore a potent source of energy for drinkers, supplying up to half of a heavy drinker's energy requirements in a day. It is created by yeasts which in the absence of oxygen get the energy they need by converting sugar to alcohol.

Alcohol is absorbed rapidly from the stomach - in five to ten minutes without food.The effects last several hours, related to body weight which is why many women are more affected by the same dose than men.

One unit is 8 grams of alcohol - equivalent to half a pint of normal beer, cider or lager, a standard glass of wine or a pub measure of spirits. After four or five units, most people feel relaxed and comfortable.Eight units causes slurred speech and clumsiness, with exaggerated emotions.Higher doses cause double vision, dizziness, staggering, loss of balance, nausea, vomiting.Beyond that alcohol can cause blindness, loss of consciousness, and loss of memory for events at the time.

The biggest danger is from injury caused by intoxication.In 1990 15% of all road accidents were alcohol related and 32% of all pedestrians killed on the road were under the influence of alcohol.Drinkers may also choke on their own vomit while unconscious. Although such sudden deaths are uncommon, this is a real hazard in police cells or in a side room in an emergency ward.

A hangover may follow, caused by dehydration and toxic metabolites.Mixing alcohol with other depressant drugs such as barbiturates or heroin is particularly dangerous as the effects are additive.

Other effects
Alcohol has many other effects on the body.

· Stomach irritation - can cause ulcers

· Liver damage - alcohol is destroyed by the liver but liver cells are also casualties (see below)

· Mouth and throat - cancers are more common in heavy drinkers

· Nutritional damage caused by neglect of a proper diet

· Brain damage caused directly by alcohol in the blood - in severe cases causing Korsakoff's psychosis, a permanent memory loss

Liver cirrhosis is a serious problem
Liver cirrhosis is common and deadly.It kills more than 23,000 a year in the US.It is the third commonest cause of death in men in their fifth decade. The commonest cause is alcohol abuse.There is probably a genetic reason why only 15% of heavy drinkers develop the problem.Once cirrhosis is diagnosed it is often too late to prevent death and 30% die in a year.

As the liver becomes progressively damaged it is no longer able to do its job as a food store, as a maker of digestive enzymes, and as a waste-disposal unit for toxins.The result is that the liver becomes enlarged with fatty tissue, the person becomes ill and jaundiced (yellow) and blood pressure rises in blood vessels draining into the liver, causing for example life-threatening bleeds of veins lining the gullet.This happens in 40% of those with cirrhosis.These bleeds cause sudden, violent, catastrophic vomiting. Death follows in minutes in almost half of those who are unfortunate enough to have one.

Defining use and abuse

Is there a safe limit?

The World Health Organisation and governments have recently revised their guidelines about so-called safe limits for alcohol consumption in both men and women. The current accepted limits vary from expert to expert but are around 21 units for men and 14 units for women. The problem is that these are general guides and do not tell us what the actual damage to an individual's health will be.

Alcohol can be good for you
Evidence is growing that alcohol in moderate doses increases life expectancy.This discovery was made following a series of large-scale studies comparing, for example the health of teetotallers with moderate and heavy drinkers.One of the protective effects appears to be on the heart and blood supply, with a reduction in strokes and heart attacks.At first the beneficial effect was attributed to some mysterious ingredients in red wine, but we now know that the therapeutic action is related to alcohol itself, independent of the method of production.

The discovery that drinking alcohol can be good for health brought alarm calls from those concerned that the news would encourage abuse. It certainly undermined the case for absolute abstention.

Classic features of abuse
There are two main patterns of alcohol abuse: regular and binge. The regular abuser drinks every day or most days. The binge drinker rarely sees himself as an alcoholic because he often goes for days or weeks without touching alcohol.However once he starts, he cannot stop.

www.globalchange.com...

www.a1b2c3.com...

www.cancer.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
The US Government knowingly poisoned alcohol to kill drinkers during the prohibition.

www.slate.com...

I didn't look at the site, but during H.S., I was fortunate enough to have a History teacher that discussed 'back room' level, and didn't go with the author of the books' choices.

This bath tub gin was often tainted with all sorts of impurities, often hallucinegens, which caused a very willing sought of Asylums. Were, treatment was oft vindictive.

She, and others, theorized this was the gov'ts attempt to cover the under belly societies, as well as their over the top reign. The beginnings of Organized Crime. As, Al Capone, and others, started their rise in this time period.

If you eliminate those that see the pattern, your goals are easier to attain.

My History teacher summed the Prohibition up simply as:
The gov't sought to control all forms of recreation, by limiting availability, and lying about the down trodden...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Why don't they do that with marijuana? at least then they will have an actual reason for keeping it illegal. Back on topic, it looks like them poisoning alcohol didn't work out so well, seeing how prohibition eventually ended.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by technical difficulties]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join