It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Hacks...little tricks to help us out.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have picked up a few neat little tricks over time that I can only describe as "life hacks". They are little tricks that can help you out through life...kind of like a cheat code for a game. Below are a few that I have come across...I'm not taking credit for these...just ones I've come across.

-Gag-reflex suppression: This is a little trick you can use to suppress your gag reflex. Now why would you want to do this...I don't know, doctors office throat swab, brushing the back of your tongue..I'm sure there are other uses...but it is neat.

As a control test...stick your right index finger down your throat...I bet you gag. Now try this.

1) make a fist with your left hand, with your left thumb inside
2) squeeze your thumb as hard as you can,
3) put your right index finger down your throat. your gag reflex is gone.

-Get out of a speeding ticket without getting arrested for bribery attempt...maybe: Ok...this one isn't a 100% guarantee...and may actually backfire
Anyway...here it is.

1)Tape (clear scotch tape) a $20 bill to the back of your drivers license.
2)When pulled over...and the officer asks for your license when he asks for it. Don't say anything about the $20 bill. At this point 1 of 3 things will happen.

a) The police officer takes the $20 and gives you a warning...this is the goal.
b) The police officer leaves the $20 and gives you a ticket....doesn't ask about the $20
c) The police officer comes back and asks you what the $20 bill is for...this is where you tell him it is your emergency money that you keep there in case you are stuck somewhere without money. This should keep you out of any trouble for bribery.

Of course the 4th option is that you are arrested for bribery. So while good in theory...I actually don't recommend you do this

-Don't wait on hold for customer service: Ok, this only works for places that have an option to speak to someone who speaks Spanish. The good thing is that if they have this option, they are usually a big company that has long wait times.

So the trick is this...when asked to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish....press 2. Because the majority of the time there is no wait for the Spanish lines and the person on the other end will almost always be bilingual and will help you anyway. When they answer in Spanish...just say you are sorry you don't speak Spanish and you must of hit the wrong button. They will either help you or transfer you to an English speaking representative...usually with no waiting.

So for all of you complaining about having to press 1 for English...now you can stop complaining

So those are a few of mine that I have picked up over the years. Anyone else have any "life hacks" that they care to share?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I remember I read a article on a whole bunch of them in an issue of Readers Digest. I think I may have thrown it away though.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
How the hell does the gag reflex trick work???

I have no idea how that will come in handy but ill never forget it

[edit on 21/2/2010 by sileighty]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I tried the no gagging trick..... It didn't work...

Another tip is when you call a company for information and you get an automated system, and you have to press a whole series of numbers just to get to an operator( Press one for english press 2 if this is your problem so on and so on).... Just press 0 That will almost always get you around the automated system and connect you straight to a person...

Not all companies have it set up like that but it works for me about 75 % of the time.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

You really have to squeeze your thumb hard...to the point that it hurts more than a little.

And I'm not sure why it works...I'm guessing the brain can't process both signals.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Some interesting "Hacks..."

The gag thing worked for me! Thats pretty cool... may come in handy if I wanted to swallow a sword

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I tried the no gagging trick..... It didn't work...

Another tip is when you call a company for information and you get an automated system, and you have to press a whole series of numbers just to get to an operator( Press one for english press 2 if this is your problem so on and so on).... Just press 0 That will almost always get you around the automated system and connect you straight to a person...

Not all companies have it set up like that but it works for me about 75 % of the time.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

The gag thingy worked for me. I wonder how it does it though.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The gag reflex suppressant is interesting but, I suggest doing the opposite when being pulled over by the police!

What you should do is stick your right index finger down your throat just before they get to your window. That way you can throw up, hopefully on them, explain you were speading to get home because you suddenly feel ill. That way you can avoid having to show your license with the $20 bill taped to it.

top topics

join