It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glock 17 gen 4 question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm looking for some info regarding the new Glock 17 gen 4.

Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody has had the opportunity to put some rounds through one and whether they noticed a difference in felt recoil.

I own both a gen 1 and gen 3, as well as a Glock 26, so I'm pretty familar with them.
Gen 4's are going for upwards of $600 around here, when they are available. That's about $100 more than the "old" ones.

If the felt recoil is significant, I'd trade up.

Anyone with some first hand knowledge?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is not first hand knowlege, but a couple of people that I have talked with that had the privilege of getting their hands on the 17 have both said that the action seems much smoother and the recoil is noticeably less. I have yet to see for myself, but they seem to love the changes.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Right on, thank you.
I beleive my G26 has the some dual spring system, but it's a sub compact, so it's hard to compare.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I don't know. But, today I just purchased a Glock 17, and I am looking forward to tomorrow when I can give it a workout. All I know is I have heard good things about it, and it felt "right" in my hand. Tomorrow I might have an answer. By the way, I got it for $479 at the gun and knife show today. Cool, too, it took less than 5 minutes to get the sale approved. The FBI works on Saturdays? Oh, well, whatever. It sure beats the 3 day waiting period it took the last time I purchased a handgun from a dealer. Oh, cool, too, it came with 3 mags. Oh, and the cute girl in the shorty shorts who was in the booth, with the .380 strapped to her right thigh in no way influenced my decision to buy from that particular dealer.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

If you scored a gen 4 for $479, then you are the luckiest dude I've run across for a while.
I wonder if it was an earlier generation you scored?

Regardless, I, personally can not say a bad thing about Glocks.

I've had my 1st gen for nearly 20 years now, and I'm sure I've put around 30,000 rounds through it.
I can remember 2 jams, and the only mechanical wear on it is the slide catch, which no longer catches after the last round is ejected from the mag.

Enjoy your Glock tomorrow, and let me know what you think.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

With Glocks, I like the 26, the only issue I had is that it kept jamming (Wasn't my gun :duh
. I had a smoother round at the range with a Hi-Point 9mm. Thing shot like a star, perfect accuracy and the sell for about $150 buckaroos.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Gaston Glock said," Americans are all fat people."
Now putting that aside, if you like holding onto a can of peaches, then Glocks are fine. If you like finesse, the Springfield XD 45 is the way to go, IMHO

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

id have to agree glocks feel like peices of plastic ... the light weight is great and all but they are simply lacking ... not to mention im troubled by the lack of failsafes on the gun. My personal favorite (which i own) is the sig p226 ergonomic and reliable to boot. Has a nice heft to it and well.... it does plain look cool.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by groomlake9
reply to post by Oaktree

With Glocks, I like the 26, the only issue I had is that it kept jamming (Wasn't my gun :duh
. I had a smoother round at the range with a Hi-Point 9mm. Thing shot like a star, perfect accuracy and the sell for about $150 buckaroos.

You got lucky.

Please never trust your life with a HiPoint (Bryco) they are complete CRAP.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

From what I've heard from actual owners of Hi-Points, they are actually pretty reliable. They're just ugly, low-capacity guns with bad ergonomics.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Okay, you got me there...I've never actually owned one.

But I did sell them to customers for 18 years (the ones I couldn't talk sense into)....and I also dealt with the returns of said customers, an extremely high ratio. Many of them told me they jam often....To the point of "when I pulled the trigger I didn't know if it was going to fire or not"...

My apologies to the OP, as a Glock thread shouldn't be graced with even the mention of a Hi Point, as they ARE complete crap.

You Get What You Pay For is in full effect when discussing cheap firearms!

How about a duel? Your Hi Point Vs. my Sig Sauer, high noon?

I didn't think so....

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Having experiance in using a pistol in combat (Army) and now on the street (cop), you WILL NOT find a more reliable pistol than the glock. That is the true HARD facts. Yes H&K, Sig, S&W, Springfield, Beretta, and a few others are great wepons and will serve the purpose of law enforcement and active shooters, but if you want ultra reliable with the least amount of maintenance under the most extreme conditions, glock is the winner. Also, the weight of a glock is that way for a reason...trust me, luggin a pistol for 18 days straight over roughly 68 miles, you will be GLAD for a polymer frame.

Hi Point...for occasional shooting and MAYBE CC. it will do ok, but I promise you a Hi Point wouln't last a day with me on the range. They aren't built for sustained fire or use.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I don't have a Hi-Point. I was merely commenting that I've never heard a Hi-Point owner complain about reliability. Maybe some folks buy them, return them, and refuse to ever speak of them again?

I actually happen to agree that Hi-Points are a bad purchase decision. They are built to fill a specific demand, and priced - in my opinion intentionally - to make sure that demand is as a disposable crime tool. Think about it: They refuse to make high capacity magazines and they cut every possible corner to keep the price under 200. Why? Because 9 rounds is plenty to make somebody open a cash register, and 200 bucks is probably gonna be right there in the drawer.

For the record, I think the "duel" rhetoric was rude, uncalled for, and it wreaked of Internet Commando. Tone it down a bit, will ya?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I do not like glocks, never fired a hi-point and never will. I bet my Makarov(PM) is everybit if not more durable than a glock and cheaper.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

Originally posted by Signals

From what I've heard from actual owners of Hi-Points, they are actually pretty reliable. They're just ugly, low-capacity guns with bad ergonomics.

Agreed. The gun sucked to hold, but it shot on target every time. I am not even an experienced marksman, I just shoot for fun.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I love my 17, bought it last year never had a problem, i also like the lack of a traditional safety(to many buttons or you gotta hold this down ok now flip that, just one sec bad guy havin a little trouble here) at least with the 17 you know all you have to do is squeeze. Probably not so much with the younger crowd but you old timers dont really like the "plastic" feel but it is very durable, requires very little care, easy to feild strip. i could go on and on

My next investment will be a nice 1911 wanted one for sooo long.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
my cat uses an ak-47 and he is a pretty damn good shot....

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
HAHA thats awesome hes gotta a little Rambo in em.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Try a new magazine... The magazine is what catches the slide when it is empty.. Without a mag in the gun, you can't lock it back unless you manually push up on the slide release while pulling back.. Your magazine is worn.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
reply to post by Oaktree

Try a new magazine... The magazine is what catches the slide when it is empty.. Without a mag in the gun, you can't lock it back unless you manually push up on the slide release while pulling back.. Your magazine is worn.

Deebo

Could be a worn slide lock also.

Especially if it has had 30,000 rounds through it.

top topics

join