It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

... Mind over Music?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I am very interested in the philosophy of how our thoughts can affect and change reality. Recently I was watching a documentary on this very subject, and found one particular study that was done using a computer random generater.

(you'll have to forgive me. Because i am on a work computer my reference sites are limited and ATS is one of very few i am still able to access
... but i can not provide a link at the moment.)

There are many studies that were done on this phenomenon, but this is the one i will refer to directly. The study is based on the random generation of ones and zeros. (ex: 0110101100010) They ask the observer to try and generate more ones than zeros and vice versa. Their results show that the sucess rate is above chance and suggests that we may actually be able to influence the outcome of certain situations.

Now, based on that information i applied this to my MP3 player.

WAIT!!!!!! before you click the back button, please hear me out!!!

Music plays a major role in my life and i keep myself continually surronded by it and even create and write my own.

I wear my MP3 player around my neck on a necklace and am rarely seen without it. I have over 400 songs and am continually updating (add/delete 2GB) the playlist. It contains a multitude of genres ranging from rock and roll to Smooth R&B/jazz and even some instramentals thrown in there.

I often leave my MP3 player on random and just enjoy the music. I work at McCarren international airport Las Vegas NV as a Ramp Fleet Agent. (baggage handler for the layman
) Everything is "Timing" and it can become a stressful envirement fairly quickly, especially when it comes to safety, bringing the aircraft in properly, and following proper pushback and safety procedures.

Lately ive seem to notice that the music that plays "on random" often reflects what i am doing (state of mind) at that time. Ex. when i am loading a plane that arrives late and needs to meet a certain departure time, the music that plays is upbeat and gets me "in the zone" (ex. Rock: system of a down-chop suey if your curious), and as i am standing here typing this very sentence i am listening to smooth R&B that is allowing me to concentrate on the text and allow my words to simply flow (ex. R&B maxwell-pretty wings if your curious) I also notice when im in the mood to write and want to hear a particular instramental i usually find the one im looking for within 10 to 20 skips. Occasionally i will even think of a song before i turn the player on and it would be the next one in line after the song that automatically plays from where it left off. Coincidence?

Now, my question to you is. Are my thoughts really affecting the music that plays?

Or is my subconscious recognizing certain random generated patterns and fooling myself to believe that i can actually control the sequence of songs that are generated?

keep in mind that when "random" is selected certain songs are eligible to be repeated therefore NOT giving me a 1 in 400 chance to get it right.

I believe i have my answer, but am open to any and all thoughts.

*edit* spelling

[edit on 8-2-2010 by H4W4II4N_PUNCH]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by H4W4II4N_PUNCH[/i

Lately ive seem to notice that the music that plays "on random" often reflects what i am doing (state of mind) at that time. Ex. when i am loading a plane that arrives late and needs to meet a certain departure time, the music that plays is upbeat and gets me "in the zone" (ex. Rock: system of a down-chop suey if your curious), and as i am standing here typing this very sentence i am listening to smooth R&B that is allowing me to concentrate on the text and allow my words to simply flow (ex. R&B maxwell-pretty wings if your curious)

[edit on 7-2-2010 by H4W4II4N_PUNCH]

That's interesting, music that gets me in the zone is usually gets me in the zone is usually harder electronic music.

Music that makes me creative is usually trance music. It has to be smooth and involved though.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Same story, different perspective.

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
just today I had the song "King Of Pain" by The Police in my head for like 10 minutes so I switched over to the classic alternative channel on music choice and "Next To You" was playing...by the Police. It was weird because I just had this feeling they'd be playing a Police song.

that was weird for sure, but I dont believe that song in my head influenced music choice to play a Police song

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It's said that most people's individual consciousness at this level is too weak to affect even a speck of dust. The collective conscious, however, perhaps can. So what I'm looking for is enough members from ATS who want to test out this theory with an experiment.

Here is my proprosed experiment. We will have one person videotape a very very small piece of paper(or the smallest and lightest object that can still be seen at close range.) Put it on youtube. Everyone takes a look at it, and tries to "move it" with their mind in the exact same(agreed on) direction and to the exact(also agreed on) spot(basically, we have to try to make it so that everyone has the exact same vision of the piece of paper and where they want to move it to.)

If you're interested in such an experiment, PM me.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've got a lot of research on psychic music naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com... is my blog -- I did a masters degree on it.

So that's a fascinating report back about affecting your random play sequence -- the answer is reality is a holograph which means external and internal are interwoven and the music MAKES US -- no ONE is listening.

top topics

join