It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could trumoil from Ukraine's vote lead to serious turmoil in Europe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

If the loser refuses to concede which Tymoshenko pretty much already said, could we be looking at military intervention into a collapsed Ukraine? Bear with me now, per say Ukraine went into serious turmoil with both sides declaring victory, the eastern Ukraine supports close ties with Russia and Yanukovych while the western Ukraine supports the EU, US and Tymoshenko. This would look like a serious divide in the nation geographically, which could lead to a civil war between both sides (if it got that bad). But it really would not have to reach that levels for either the US, EU or Russia to step in. My bets would be on a Russian intervention which would enrage western Ukraine and the West, this would only lead to more instability and with Russia signing into law last summer/autumn the ability to intervene in international situation it would be perfect timing. An unstable Ukraine either border line civil war or actual civil war east-west, a divided nation with one side supporting US-EU and the other supporting Russia, a shattered economy, and an unstable climate in the area. Could this be reality or am I just thinking to critically about this and it will just be an election with maybe some arguments and then it will all be over? We could only hope for the latter.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Yanukovych won the election, but Tymoshenko said she will not concead defeat.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ukraine exit polls say Yanukovych has won election

Exit polls from Ukraine's presidential election indicate opposition leader Viktor Yanukovych has narrowly won.
Mr Yanukovych is given a lead of 3-5% over Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. President Viktor Yushchenko lost in the first round.
If correct, it would be a remarkable comeback for Mr Yanukovych, who was swept aside five years ago by the Orange Revolution.
He would be expected to make Ukraine's foreign policy more pro-Russian.
The BBC's Richard Galpin in Kiev says the result would be an extraordinary indictment of the Orange Revolution leaders' failure to deliver on their promises, which has left people deeply disillusioned.

Yulia did say she was going to take protestors to the streets. This could cause problems between eastern russian-speaking and western ukrainian speaking. I have no idea how far this could go.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by john124]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Before the polls closed Tymoshenko was already crying foul.
Maybe something will happen, we could only hope otherwise.

top topics

join