It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Wants to Override Evolution to Make Immortal Synthetic Organisms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

DARPA Wants to Override Evolution to Make Immortal Synthetic Organisms

www.disinfo.com

Death-resistant synthetic beings? Don’t worry, there’s a genetically encoded kill-switch

It’s been a long time since a Pentagon project from the DARPA labs truly evoked a “WTF DARPA?!” response, but our collective jaw dropped when we saw the details on a project known as BioDesign. DARPA hopes to dispense with evolutionary randomness and assemble biological creatures, genetically programmed to live indefinitely and presumably do whatever their human masters want. And, Wired’s Danger Room reports, when there’s the inevitable problem of said creatures going haywire or realizing
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/02/pentagon-looks-to-breed-immortal-synthetic-organisms-molecular-kill-switch-included/]www.wired.com[/url ]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This project really seems to be in wonderland to me. I wouldn t think this kind of project is even feasable really. What is interesting is that it demonstrates an active proposal that totally duplicates the theory that humans were made by aliens as slaves. So many conspiracy theorists speculate that our DNA was invented/changes by aliens; and here we are doing exactly that now. The really weird thing is , why make them immortal?

www.disinfo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Consciousness is immortal- our experiences, no matter how much tai chi you do and red wine you drink, no matter how well oiled your "ghost in the shell" outfit is for- say centuries, aren't- physically.

Sh1t happens. astrological ages change, and the universe guarantees that the old is renewed somehow.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Related thread: here

Both about the synthetic organism.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
now we know what the US forces in Haiti are up to. they're there to learn how to make zombies, i wonder how much of this funding is being paid to the voodoo priests over there.

[edit on 2.6.10 by toreishi]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
While I am certain the boys at DARPA think this is good idea, I would have to disagree. Anyone who design a synthetic humanoid that will not die has the potential to be of very serious consequence in the hands of those with no morals and no ethics. Even when you think you control them, given time they will become mans worst nightmare. The Army and Marines or any military forces would be faced with an invincible enemy that would not die and that can be replaced like a trash bag. To me this is an idea with the potential to do great harm to mankind.

new topics

top topics

join