It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone here ever done Hajj (Islamic pilgrimage)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I am not a muslim.

However, I am interested in hearing the impressions of anyone here who has done Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

I know the basic outline of what is done on the Hajj...I'm more interested in people's tales or anedotes.

Any personal observations or impressions are welcome.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Not being muslim but having Muslim friends I can tell you that it seems a pretty surreal experience.

Since it is a personal pilgramage, there isn't a lot to tell to an outsider.
But I have heard that the lines to approach Mecca, is a little unnerving because you have so many people, yet it is quiet except for the prayer.

I have also heard that it is also starting to lose a little of its authenticity just because they are trying to figure out how to accomodate a large world population coming, when the area is not that big. Gives it a lit bit of an amusement park feel, but it can still be considered quit a feat of engineering.

I would imagine it would be like being able to join a chorus of monks in gregorian chant.

That is if you can chant that is.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You are basically asking on this forum if a person posting on here is a Muslim and how fanatical they are about their religion.

Very few Muslims actually can afford to do the trip.It is expensive and can be dangerous.

So are you trying to out the Muslims posting on this forum?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thanks for your reply. This is the sort of think I'm interested in. People's personal impressions.

reply to post by calcoastseeker

Erm, no I'm not trying to "out" anyone or make any kind of ideological or religious points. Arguments about politics and religion bore me to tears, frankly speaking, and the Internet is full of 80 octillion such threads. I have no desire to create another.

From what I understand, Hajj is a requirement for all Muslims able to make the journey at least once in their lifetimes, so I don't see what's necessarily "fanatical" about it. And from what I understand, millions of people show up to do Hajj each year, and the vast majority of them are not wealthy,

I'm simply curious as to what it feels like to be in a massive growd of hundreds of thousands from different cultures and doing an ancient ritual. I'm also curious as to the logistics of the thing...it must take an incredible amount of effort and control by whoever oversees security, sanitation, etc. Even a concert or sporting event lasting one day and involving 50 or 60 thousand can be a logistical nightmare. Imagine millions of people pouring into a small city for weeks on end.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
See I actually gave up a daycare of this pilgramage. It is not an easy thing to do. While yes, many can't do it because of price, many try to do it. Lets not forget that a decent population of the world is Muslim. So no one is being outed. Muslims are required to the Hajj once in their lifetime. Though expense can be used as an out. It has become an excuse for one. don't quote me on this, but I believe that American muslims, though probably richer, are the least likely to do it. Of course spending a week traveling one way would be a deterrant for me. That and I have heard rumors that airfare is disproportionately higher for Americans. But that is another thread for another time.

I signed my kid up in daycare in October. Then in November the daycare lady, who was from Palestine, told me she is taking an entire month of December off to do the Haaj.

Knowing you can't plan a trip like that in 2 weeks, as it takes a week just to get there, she was being deceitful to me when I enrolled.

Believe it or know, Mecca is still in a hard to get location. So just the travel there adn back is an adventure.

Like I said: all I have been told that it is a very moving experience. So many people in one place, almost in a trance. That it is contagious. That the moment you are in the circle you are swepped up.

Probably like as you open the door to a Tibetan monestary. They described it as feeling as one with everyone, despite the numbers.

It is kind of a shame it can't be shared with outsiders.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

top topics

join