It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find female sex hormone in plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

In a finding that may change scientific understanding of the evolution of female sex hormone 'progesterone', scientists have claimed to have found the hormone in a plant.

Until now, scientists thought that only animals could make progesterone -- a steroid hormone secreted by the ovaries -- which prepares the uterus for pregnancy and maintains it. A synthetic version, progestin, is used in birth control pills and other medications.

"The significance of the unequivocal identification of progesterone cannot be overstated," said the study by a team led by Guido F Pauli at the College of Pharmacy, Chicago.

"While the biological role of progesterone has been extensively studied in mammals, the reason for its presence in plants is less apparent," it said.

Source:www.hindustantimes.com...

This is a strange find, why would plants have sex hormones of women? The article and study is baffling and I am in loss of words here.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Estrogen-like chemicals is common in Plants, they mimic the hormone with a strong precision.

Soy is the most famous example.

But progesterone is really surprising... they found in the leaves of the walnut tree.

Makes one wonder if the walnut nut also contains amounts even if trace.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The article said something about why a human hormone would be in a plant. Wouldn't it stand to reason that female humans have a plant chemical in them. Wouldn't the presence of this chemical first be in plants then later in humans? Being that plant life is older than human life??
I don't know but I'm curious
Is it a chicken egg thing?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
The article said something about why a human hormone would be in a plant. Wouldn't it stand to reason that female humans have a plant chemical in them. Wouldn't the presence of this chemical first be in plants then later in humans? Being that plant life is older than human life??
I don't know but I'm curious
Is it a chicken egg thing?

More like there is a limit to how many basic proteins, amino acids, and otherwise synthesized simple compounds that can be tied together without becoming too big for a plant or animal to easily produce since the bigger the compound is, the more energy it takes to manufacture.

new topics

top topics

join