It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worship is sin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Disclaimer: Hopefully some will appreciate the intentional irony of the instigatory title; and those others, please pardon the use of words to express the idea that worship (not a sin) is unnatural...

We were taught to worship
we have been given the assumption during our lives through cultural conditioning, direct and indirect, that primitive man naturally gave homage to the 'gods', those beings percieved as superior.
that is, we have been conditioned, as a species, and in nearly all religions, to accept the idea that worship is natural, and subsequently, so too is the obedient reverence required.
worship is unnatural...Freedom to CoCreate with Creator is natural!
nowhere in Nature is homage paid to another in the form of worshiping...not within species, or between them.
worship is a basis for a hierarchical belief system, where one can be placed above another.
the insidious idea of inferiority and superiority, and the byproducts of mental, emotion, and physical pollution are ubiquitious in the variety of cultural forms around the globe, each with its own version of duality.
living in peace on Earth, with soul of self and others, and creation, we exixt in Oneness.
worship yourself, worship your family, your neighbor, worship the Earth, nature, the Universe...worship nothing..........but know ALL LOVE ALL BEINGS ALL CREATION

LOVE

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

nowhere in Nature is homage paid to another in the form of worshiping...not within species, or between them.

Interesting premise. But I'm not sure I completely concur.

Think about animals that live in packs or groups. Ever watched a dominant wolf enter an area of subordinants? They roll over, exposing their bellies; they "bow" and lick the alpha's muzzle, and basically adopt a complete posture of submission. Its semantics, I know, but perhaps you could define this total submission as an extension, or precursor, to worship.

Worshiping a higher being isn't solely for the beneift of the god(s). The worshipers do get something out of the bargain; a feeling of connectedness with the god and with fellow believers, a sense of a higher, benevolent authority who is looking out for the worshiper's best interests; an overriding feeling that, in the end, things really will be okay simply because God exists.

As to the Christian God needing our love, I agree to a certain extent. Kinda like my pet cat. I can live without it, so in that sense I don't "need" it. However, its obvious love and affection enhances my life to a great degree. And it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying if that cat was my captive; the fact that she chooses to be with me is sublime in and of itself.

So perhaps if you believe in God, this would explain free will?

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post. Really made me think!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Gratitude for contributing your insight - good observations...
Although the submission exhibited by certain wolves in a pack is not identical to the action of worship, the obedience required by the 'inferior' to the 'superior' is eerily similar and perhaps a requisite of worshiping...in which case, yes, it would be a precursor in nature.
However, as divine co-creators with this planet, and with the inextricably and inherently interconnected energy patterns of life forms, it is my 'opinion' that the energy of the human influences that of the animal...and that as we energetically transform, so too will the creations of Earth.
And, again; agree that it can be said worship places on in accord with worshiped, and in some individuals provides a sense of connection to a higher source...which may have been good at one point - a guide or template of our potential, yet to continue in such a relationship is to perpetuate the externalization of our divinity.
It is time to see that everything is a reflection of ourselves - to a certain degree and kind - and that in a state of Oneness, worship is assimilated by collective cocreative harmony in which all are Free.

LOVE

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

However, as divine co-creators with this planet

Here is the crux of your argument; it all hinges on the reader agreeing that humans are divine co-creators. But truly, how many people believe humanity is divine? I know when I "people watch" I certainly don't get a sense that people are divine at all....in fact, just the opposite. So, I respectfully ask that you explain your rationale that humans are divine.

It is time to see that everything is a reflection of ourselves - to a certain degree and kind - and that in a state of Oneness, worship is assimilated by collective cocreative harmony in which all are Free.

Are you addressing free will in this post? I agree that our environment can reflect our current emotional state, and vice versa. I also agree that our actions, thoughts, and perceptions can influce others in both a positive and negative manner. But are humans truly free? To me, freedom would include freedom from morality; in other words, if I'm divine and free I can do what I like to whoever I like, and there's nothing to stop me. I am omnipotent, my will is the only thing that matters, etc. etc. Sounds like something a sociopath might believe.

You write extremely well, and I look forward to your posts. Thanks for giving me a thinking buzz!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

Umm... All right. Well in nature monkeys throw feces at each other when they get angry. Are you saying I should be more natural?

The whole purpose of religion is to practice behavior that goes beyond your natural urges so we can spiritually become something different.

If you're just looking for natural then you just get naked and jump in the forest and start flinging poo. Being natural is easy.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Gratitude for your insight~

When you people watch, what are you doing...most likely observing from a populated area, the actions of individuals around you going about 'their business'.
This can be a fascinating and revealing practice, as long as we understand what we are revealing...not human nature, but human actions.
We are observing the actions of an entity masked with ego - conditioned to believe and behave - which does not reveal the essence of the being.
We see less than divine acts in a less than divine world and make generalizations.
A computer operates optimally once manufactured; and with time gains programs, some of which are faulty and disrupt functioning.
In our lives we are programmed by a vast array of subtle energy systems.
Humans have lost touch with their essence and thus their purpose, & this site details many ways in which this disconnect occurs, & in some instances, methods to reconnect.
We can clear our operating system so to speak and see our true nature.
You are right...it is my belief that we are divine - this can only be confirmed in you.
Perhaps next time you wish to people watch you could go & Nature watch...it will be much more freeing.

Again, you are correct - free will does imply freedom to 'immorality'.
Yet the question arises to what purpose - and the answer arises, duality.
It is the only reason one would act so...to perceive oneself as distinct from another, and thus inflict any wishes upon them in the exercise of their proclaimed freedom...this is not freedom, but illusion of separation.
Anyways, does omnipotence equal indifference......another program.
We can see our larger purpose, and it is as a species, to integrate, Oneness.
In a sense, as we transform, the need for free will is replaced with purpose.
For instance, a mother is free to feed her child, yet she does so not out of lack of freedom, but for LOVE and a higher purpose with her newborn.

Truly, the answers you seek are already known inside you!

LOVE

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

Gratitude for your humor.

Yes, if you wish to experience closer relationship with the divine within you, my suggestion is to go into the tranquil beauty of Nature...whether you choose to do this clothed or not is your decision, yet my recommendation also would be to swim nude.
Regarding feces and monkeys, its a humorous example, yet incomplete to sway one from the recognition that 'we are of Nature'.
And Creation is where to met the Creator.
Religion has guided many to understand themselves...yet simultaneously has it impressed the belief in a hierarchical system which no longer can effectively serve the developing human in transforming themselves and this world.
If it is your path - great - may you ever experience god within you and all around you!

LOVE

top topics

join