It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone see Obama on CBS at the Duke vs. Georgetown game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Look, just to add a little 'fairness and balance' to ATS, I'm going to give my impressions after seeing POTUS on the TV just now....He joined the broadcast table after a timeout, so it was Obama, Clark Kellogg, and the other play by play guy.

*Obama looked better than he has in awhile....just to mention, as I remember a slam thread saying how old and tired he looked, and that he might get sick and die in office, or something along those lines.

*He had great humor, and was very nimble (w/o a teleprompter, just like yesterday when he spent 80 minutes ad libbing with aplomb)....he even did the play-calling for a bit, and joked that he was coming to takeover Kellogg's job--in either 3 or 7 years, and that Kellogg should thus plan accordingly.

*The other announcer asked if Obama could 'go right' (Obama is a lefty when playing hoops), and Obama said he proved that he could go right yesterday when he met with the GOP (Obviously he is feeling pretty good about how he fared vs. the 140 repubs. yesterday at their day retreat).

Anyway, all in all I'd say the President came off pretty well to the average guy watching the game. Sometimes it's easy to lose focus, and forget that he still has a positive job approval rating, so he's not universally hated (like one would think if they spent to much time w/ certain media sites and formats, ahem ATS).

I'm glad Obama seems to be able to relax, as all objective analysis show that his first year has been extremely hard-worked. He has the personality and intellect of a true-leader, and much to the chagrin of the haters, I have confidence that Obama will improve the lives of average Americans, and ultimately strengthen our country. I know you all are gung-ho about 2010, but Obama doesn't seem rattled. Basketball and politics are games of streaks and adjustments, and you need to peak at the right times.

Just wanted to put this out, as so many seem to be doing the elite's bidding pro bono these days, and let others know that they aren't alone if they still feel patriotic and personal support for the Commander and Chief.

God Bless Obama and the USA, stay strong, and remember, there is a reason the lord made you the leader of the free world at this time (sorry just had to throw that on there to be ironic, or something).

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/30/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It is good to read that the Pres. is taking a bit of time to relax and recharge.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yeah a few weeks in Hawaii really isn't a good way to recharge or relax. Sorry, but this is more of the "campaign" president.

I think he was smart to go meet the republicans on their own turf. That kind of thing is what we need more of. Elected officials actually standing up and discussing and debating. Let us see what is happening and make judgements. Yapping during a basketball game is just campaigning.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Yeah a few weeks in Hawaii really isn't a good way to recharge or relax. Sorry, but this is more of the "campaign" president.

I think he was smart to go meet the republicans on their own turf. That kind of thing is what we need more of. Elected officials actually standing up and discussing and debating. Let us see what is happening and make judgements. Yapping during a basketball game is just campaigning.

whitehouse.gov1.info...

THE 2009 HAWAII VACATION President Obama, born (yes, BORN!) and raised in Hawaii, looks forward to his annual vacation there with his family and close friends. Given the heavy demands of the Presidency, advanced planning is critical. Despite the fact that he is the Leader of the Free World, President Obama faces the same four vacation decisions as everyone else: When to go; How to get there; Where to stay: and What to do. When to Go

President Obama likes to spend his Christmas holiday in Hawaii. He has done so in the past and plans to continue this annual tradition while he is President. His most recent Hawaii vacation was from December 24th through January 3rd. President Obama is already beginning to make plans to return to Hawaii for Christmas in 2010.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Whatever. The dude likes Basketball. He has hobbies.
I say, good for him.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I'm glad he has hobbies. His job is probably the most perplexing, stressing, and distressing in the country. I just hate seeing him on Leno, Letterman, ESPN, and everywhere else every time he decides he (or his agenda) needs an image boost. I prefer that he speak directly about the specifics of issues and ideas.

Instead of doing three minutes at the game do thirty minutes with congress on CNN, MSNBC, and the others. Do it the same way he did yesterday's debate witht he republicans. I rather see him do a real debate with congress (and everybody back up claims) than a top ten list on Letterman, or talk about whether he can go righty playing hoops.

Besides he just spent ten days in Hawaii. It isn't like the guy is hurting for some time off. This wasn't about relaxing it was about PR.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

PR mixed with enjoying a game. Well, wouldn't be the first time that happened. That's business. I really don't have a problem with it. To jump on the Pres. for doing it is to jump on every businessman/woman who does the exact same thing. We all do this, to some extent. I do it every time I have to take a client to lunch. It's just not a big deal, to me. And again, the guy likes Basketball, is it a surprise that he catch a game when he can?

ETA: I do hear what you're saying, though.
Cheers

[edit on 30-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I see your point as well. I'm just in a mood to go after certain people (Obama not you) and be argumenative.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

www.factcheck.org...

President Obama’s Vacation Days

January 11, 2010

Q: Has President Obama taken more vacation time than his predecessors?

A: According to one count, Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush spent more time on "vacation" during their first year than President Obama did. Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton spent less time on "vacation."

FULL ANSWER

President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.

Knoller, who has covered every president since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records on presidential travel, counts the following among President Obama’s "vacations" in 2009:

• A four-day holiday weekend in Chicago in February where the president played some basketball and treated First Lady Michelle Obama to a Valentine’s Day dinner date.

• An eight-day stay with his family at a rented house on Martha’s Vineyard in August.

• A trip out west to the U.S. states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona that combined both business and pleasure. The president held town hall meetings on health care during the trip. And he went fly fishing and took trips to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon with his wife and two daughters.

• An 11-day stay in Hawaii where the president and his family celebrated Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Some of the president’s recent predecessors, however, have spent more days — either entirely or partially — away from the White House "on vacation" during their first year in office.

President Reagan, in 1981, spent all or part of 42 days away from the White House "on vacation" at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif, according to Knoller. President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, also spent three or four days around New Year’s Day each year in Palm Springs, Calif., at the home of philanthropist Walter Annenberg. (In 1993 the late Mr. Annenberg founded the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, which is FactCheck.org’s parent organization.)

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation’s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them — all or part of 69 days — came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller.

Bush’s father, President George H.W. Bush, spent less time "on vacation" during his first year than his son, but spent more days than President Obama. According to travel records provided to FactCheck.org by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the former president took six trips — spanning all or part of 40 days — to the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1989. The archivist at Bush’s presidential library told us she didn’t have a list of all vacations but did have the Kennebunkport visits.

But at least two recent presidents — by Knoller’s count — took less "vacation" time during their first year than President Obama — Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

According to Knoller, Carter spent just 19 days "on vacation" in 1977. Most of that time, Knoller says, the former president spent at his home in Plains, Ga. President Clinton took all or part of 174 days of vacation during his eight years as president — most of that "vacation" time was during the summer, according to Knoller. But Knoller says Clinton only took 21 "vacation" days during his first year.

It’s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips — all or part of 27 days — to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn’t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents’ "vacation" time. But for the sake of comparison, President George W. Bush, made more trips to that country residence than Obama. According to Knoller, Bush made 25 trips — a total of 78 days — to Camp David in 2001.

But no matter how much time a president actually spends away from the official residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Knoller says that the commander in chief is never really off the clock. "I have long held the view that a US president is never really on vacation," Knoller told FactCheck.org in an e-mail. "The job - and its awesome powers and responsibilities - is his wherever he is and whatever he’s doing."

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It must be surprising for many people (right and left) to see that this man is human.

He is neither the Messiah nor the Anti-Christ.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
"*He had great humor, and was very nimble (w/o a teleprompter, just like yesterday when he spent 80 minutes ad libbing with aplomb)....he even did the play-calling for a bit, and joked that he was coming to takeover Kellogg's job--in either 3 or 7 years, and that Kellogg should thus plan accordingly."

80 minutes of ad libbing with aplomb, eh ? Hmmmm.....

Obama Lost For Words Without Teleprompter

www.youtube.com...

A gutsy college student asks Obama a question. The president states, "The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries."

I laughed myself silly watching this video. The expression on Joe Biden's face is priceless...it's like "Who does this guy think he is kidding" ?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Longbob

Yeah he's a silver tongued devil that one!I didn't see that one yet was that from yesterday?I like the sign language interpreter,the look on her face is priceless.And did he say Bwaaa?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR

He is neither the Messiah nor the Anti-Christ.

But he is a liar and a false prophet.

As for the game, he could have saved taxpayers loads of money if he had stayed in and watched the game on television.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
here you go longbob

remind you of any one?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
here's a funny one

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I tried to embed the player but it didn't work. Thanks for posting the video. Now everyone can laugh themselves silly at our elected but non-eligible, "eloquent" teleprompter reader.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Longbob]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

I wasn't saying he took more days than other presidents. Believe it or not I wasn't trying to make this a right v left issue. I wasn't trying to make it a W v Obama issue. I was simply pointing out that he returned from vacation less than three weeks ago.

In my opinion it was a PR move to go with his new populist image. Agree or disagree with me, that is cool. Posting excessive quotes from an outside source that is arguing off topic, that is anoying and pointless.

new topics

top topics

join