It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The key to happiness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Respect

It’s not a hard word to say or spell. It means a whole bunch to some people, and not very much to others. How does one get respect? How does one become worthy? When should respect be given?
I have based my whole adult life learning about respect, honor, integrity, and love. I think respect is the cornerstone to all the things I just mentioned. You must respect yourself before you can achieve anything, including getting out of bed in the morning. You must respect others in order to function in society. There is no greater feeling than to have other respect you for who you truly are. You must respect your family and wife in order to love them. And most importantly, you must be worth of respect in order to be loved.
Does the president deserve respect? His office surely does. The man himself needs to prove himself to determine if he himself is worthy in your eyes. But a soldier will salute the president even if he hates him to the core of his soul. Out of respect for the office.
Do your parents deserve respect? The fact that they are your parents deserves some respect. If they were/are good parents in your eyes, is only able to be determined by you. I would venture a guess that most parents want to do their best for their children. They will try, maybe not always getting it right, but then again, nobody gives out a manual at the hospital.
Who do you respect most in the world? I bet you would answer the same as if I asked you who do you love most in this world. Respect, true respect, is synonymous with love in my opinion.
I submit that if we all spent a little more time thinking about that one little word, we could improve this world ten fold. If we all thought for just a second before we spoke, or before we acted on impulse, how will this action affect my quest for respect?
I hope that after writing this, I will keep it in my mind for a while and practice what I have preached, and I hope that anyone who reads this and agrees with it would feel the same way. Good things are contagious. Smiles, happiness, and respect.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Respect is certainly the main key... I'd add to it though, knowing when to pick your battles, .....

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Respect and realizing that no one really knows what they want, because that can change, but what we don't want never really does.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Okay,you caused it by saying that word.So here it is.

Aretha! You sing it girl!

[edit on 2-2-2010 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Respect is certainly the main key... I'd add to it though, knowing when to pick your battles, .....

that is what my wife keeps telling me when dealing with our teenage kids. She is usually right. (just don't tell her I said so)

top topics

join