It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccine Could Be Lethal Weapon Against Malaria, Cholera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's some news to raise hopes that these two diseases could be treated in the future with one vaccine. The researchers are using genetically engineered tobacco and lettuce to produce the vaccine which has been successful so far in lab tests.

news.ucf.ed u

Mankind may finally have a weapon to fight two of the world’s deadliest diseases.

A University of Central Florida biomedical researcher has developed what promises to be the first low-cost dual vaccine against malaria and cholera.

There is no FDA approved vaccine to prevent malaria, a mosquito-borne illness that kills more than 1 million people annually. Only one vaccine exists to fight cholera, a diarrheal illness that is common in developing countries and can be fatal. The lone vaccine is too expensive to prevent outbreaks in developing countries after floods, and children lose immunity within three years of getting the current vaccine.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Who wants to sign up to be the first to try it?

I'll get in line the day after I get the H1N1 vaccine.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

I've been following the development of the malaria vaccine for a while, and this is wonderful news. Malaria kills over one million people annually, so any easily applied, longlasting treatment is a godsend.

[edit on 1/26/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Thanks for the response, I agree that it would be wonderful news for the medical community to have something to help treat those two ailments.

If the scientific community spent more time in trying to solve the existing diseases instead of trying to create and attack something they think might happen, I think that alot of peoples' lives would be much better. It's about time that a Cholera and Malaria vaccine was perfected to save lives.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Thanks for the response, I agree that it would be wonderful news for the medical community to have something to help treat those two ailments.

If the scientific community spent more time in trying to solve the existing diseases instead of trying to create and attack something they think might happen, I think that alot of peoples' lives would be much better. It's about time that a Cholera and Malaria vaccine was perfected to save lives.

I agree with this entire post, absolutely. This sort of thinking is the reason I got into public health. You can't even begin to solve the problems of tomorrow until you at least attempt to solve the problems of today.

new topics

top topics

join