It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting candidate for President question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Chief Justice John Roberts.

I know right now, in the midst of the controversy surrounding the Supreme Courts' recent decision, that this might seem an odd time for me to pose this question, but the thought came across my mind and I wanted to just gauge the response from ATS.

Admittedly, I by no means am an expert on Justice Roberts, but he strikes me as a pretty measured individual, and he obviously must be intelligent in order to get to his position.

Has the United States ever had a Judge become President? I don't think so off the top of my head. Bunch of lawyers, but no Judges. Certainly, the idea of a Supreme Court Justice running for President is intriguing.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Personally bureacrats never show any intelligence, they tend to just suck up to the elected officials. As for the question. He would have to hit the campaign trail pretty early to get his name out there. After that latest decision though he wouldn't even make it past the primaries.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RDR17

Has the United States ever had a Judge become President? I don't think so off the top of my head. Bunch of lawyers, but no Judges.

Just to clear up that one question:

Taft and Truman were both Judges before becoming President.
And Ronald Reagan played a Judge on TV for an episode of Kraft Suspense Theatre in 1964.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Ah, my bad. I had a feeling I was wrong about that, but I could not find the answer to that question.

I know its farfetched, and I'm not trying to advocate it. This was just a thought I had early in the morning. I should've waited until after I slept to post stupid ideas.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Not a stupid idea at all.........

He would probably do well in a campaign for President, and he doesn't seem to have any skeletons in his closet.

I have no vote because I'm Canadian, but sadly the US President effects everyone on the planet.

Personally, I don't care for his conservatism.
Trying to reverse Roe vs Wade is one example, but during his confirmation hearings he may as well have said "I was just following orders" as an excuse for some of his legal arguments before the Supreme Court.

Yes, you hire a lawyer to argue your side, but I have a mistrust for any lawyer that stands before a judge and presents a case he doesn't believe in. Though he did have a good win/loss ratio for the work he did.

He would need to run as a Republican to have a chance at the top job, though I see no reason for him to leave the position he has now.
Rehnquist had big shoes to fill, but they fit Roberts well.

He's a good man, in a good job, with a good paycheck for life.
Why leave his current position ?

Edit: I can't spell, and nobody uses French anymore......:shk:

[edit on 26/1/2010 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

join