It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chunking the tube

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just came across someone who said that within 50 minutes of watching television, our mind goes into a hypnotic trance state. This person said the second day we go into this state within 5 minutes. The third, within 5 seconds! Seeing as the average television viewer watches at least one hour a day, this means 100's of millions of viewers worldwide are being brainwashed daily! The most horrible thought is that these people are all watching the same mindless programming.

I haven't watched broadcast programming in my residence since 2004. I can tell you without a doubt that it's one of the most liberating choices I've ever made! Within a week or so, you feel more like yourself. You begin to think more for yourself. You begin to notice, just how programmed the average individual has become. If you are around a television, say at a friends house, you will notice how glued your friends are, and how easily it has become for you to see the layers of manipulation, and not be effected. You will gain a disgust for the shows, and see how idiotic they are.

This isn't for the weak-minded! It will entirely change your perception of reality. Once you start that journey, there's no going back! This frees up time for you to do more important things. Go experience nature, start a new hobby, challenge yourself physically, or spend quality time with your family. Now you can really begin to grow.

It's become apparent to myself, that the television and radio are the easiest ways to manipulate us all. Besides the actual shows, commercials are blasting multiple layers of conditioning. On top of that, there may be deeper subliminal programming from "random" noises or flashes between shows and commercials.

I suggest members of ATS who have not already done so, to chunk the tele. No, not literally (although that can be liberating as well !!) , but more so to just unplug it for a week, or physically remove it from the room if necessary. Try just one week without t.v. and come back here and let me know if you feel any less programmed/more free. I can't guarantee that you will, but I know for myself and many others the experience is of a drastic improvement in well being.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
After you get away from the tube for a few weeks it becomes hard to go back. For me after staying off the tube I can never go back. Watching the news with the family results in my calling the bullsh%$ as it scrolls and correcting lies.

OP is right, it really is liberating to not be controlled by the TV.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I left my t.v. in storage when I moved, recently ... I don't miss it.

I have more time in the day to do things that I like (studying not being one of those things) but at least there are no excuses (except ATS, dang it!) and it is true that t.v. can be a huge waste of time and brain cells.

If people can't bear to remove the t.v. altogether, at the very least - take it out of the bedroom! More important things to do in there... IMO.

ed: sp. grr

[edit on 25-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The irony of this thread is that the same can be said for the internet to. Whenever i get a day off from work i usually try to do things that do not involve the TV or the internet. I go out, I see people, go to the gym and tend to just avoid it all.
The sad thing is that i'm well aware i could not go 1 whole week without the internet or TV.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I'm not so sure the exact same thing can be said about the internet, but I do get your point. The internet can be a way to escape from reality. At the same time, it's not nearly as "programmed"..conditioning as the television. I've gone more than a week without either before. My family thought I was gonna go berserk, but it was actually refreshing and I had no problems. That being said, I was in Cancun at the Ritz enjoying the beach and guzzling down drinks, but...it's possible.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

So i'd have to pay for a holiday in order to keep myself from the internet for a week? haha, no deal
may try, when it gets warmer to go a few days without the internet.

I cannot remember the last time i went two days without viewing facebook lol

new topics

top topics

join