It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS permanently seals Jack Benny television masters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
From the web page

In December 2008 when I was at CBS overseeing the color specials transfer, I was told that CBS had the Benny television program masters. I was breathless! I got a listing of their holdings, and selected about 25 shows that are currently uncirculated and in the public domain. I sent the request for us to digitally preserve these shows, at the IJBFC's cost, to Lorra-Lea Bartlett, the Manager of the CBS Contracts Rights and Clearances department. This was followed by about nine months of waiting for the CBS New York legal department to respond to the request. On September 7th, I was asked to provide a letter from the Benny Estate requesting that the programs be released, and "that should get this unstuck." The Estate happily provided the letter to CBS. I continued to follow up weekly for status. Today I was informed by Peter Murray, Lorra-Lea's assistant, that she had talked with CBS' Vice President of Business Affairs, and "there are so many issues with those shows, that even if we took the time to figure it out, we still almost certainly wouldn't do the deal." So that's it. Access to the Jack Benny television masters is sealed.

www.jackbenny.org...

CBS is way out of bounds on this. They are basically stealing from all of us in not allowing these films to be recorded. So, let everybody know about this. Tell your dog, mother in law, kids, parents, grandparents, the cop that's writing you a ticket, the checker at the super market, etc... Perhaps CBS will relent when word of this gets around.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by SpacePunk]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

A lot of those older programs included live commercials... some of those were for (gasp!) cigarettes. In fact, Benny and a lot of those of the era would ad lib the commercial into the show before the live audience.

As a society, we have lost our objectivity and ability to accept history for what it was. The moment one of those old programs was spotted by some anti-smoking nazis or social sensitivity groups, there would be law suits and insurance issues and bad press, etc.

Other problems would include the way the public spoke of minorities and social issues. Again, we are incapable of accepting history for what it was... and even learn from it.

It is simply easier to ignore it or even ban it.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by redoubt]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I know that I would be so upset if i saw someone smoking a ciggarette on live tv. I just don't know what I would do with myself.

Seriously though, all of this PI crap makes me want to vomit. When did society become full of pansies? All the time complaining. It gives me indegestion. Seriously!

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 20-1-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think they "real" reason that CBS said no was if they let folks see these shows, People would start to realize that Television and Hollywood in General no longer have the ability to be original.

My wife and I watch "New" TV shows and figure out the plot in less than 5-10 minutes. (those of you that are also bookworms know you can do it too)

The shows of the 50's were done by "Original" thinkers. it was all new back then, but now they rehash the same garbage over and over. Can't have folks THINK for themselves, that could cause "creativity" and that's BAD, very very bad

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

Totally agree, those dramas on networks these days are horrible, laughable, unwatchable. Also the movies these days are crap, there are no original scripts, every movie now is a remake of an 80's cartoon or prior movie!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
I know that I would be so upset if i saw someone smoking a ciggarette on live tv. I just don't know what I would do with myself.

Seriously though, all of this PI crap makes me want to vomit. When did society become full of pansies? All the time complaining. It gives me indegestion. Seriously!

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 20-1-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

NEVER watch any reruns of Morton Downey, Jr. then. You'll just fall dead from second hand smoke.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I wonder if the banned episodes had anything to do with Rochester…

Given the fact that many original episodes of various beloved series of the time period were later banned because of ‘offensive’ religious, ethnic and sexist material (see Bugs Bunny, Three Stooges, etc.) I wonder if this wasn’t the cause in the ‘Benny Cover-up’.

While it may be that the material contained therein might be considered offensive to modern sensibilities, I can see no purpose in restricting access to it. If denigration of Rochester was the motivation for the suppression of certain episodes then I can’t understand the why some would belive that covering up history is the best way to protect the future.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
could they just be keeping the private for release on DVD later on?

honestly, that's the first thing that came to mind for me. but who knows?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think if there was a real interest and millions could be made then they'd release it.

as long as they never "seal" up any Twilight Zones I'm okay with it

top topics

join