It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone looked in a dictionary with the word "Apocalypse"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I get so discouraged when I see the word APOCALYPSE" It means either to cover, or unveiling! It also means a womans veil. I have a very thick older dictionary, like 1953 and it means unveiling! I am like Bob Dean at the end of the Barcelona conference, and I cheered when he said "I am so sick of the people using that word for destruction when it only means, a veil, or unveiling! I cheered when he said that. Use your books people, or, even just type it in. I'm gonna make ya work and use your brain!

[edit on 1/15/2010 by stardust1955]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well I guess words "evolve" and take on new meanings, I won't even go into the nasty words.

But just remember how a certain word used to mean "a bundle of sticks".

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Yep, fags. I know, I use to call my cigs fags back in the sixties. So the old word apocalypse means destruction now, and are you implying that you don't read the new dictionary in which is "still" the same meaning? That word hasn't changed in the dictionary, only 'fag" has changed. And I am a "fag", but not a male one. A bundle of sticks means we stick together, that is why we are called fags.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by stardust1955

The word Revelation is in Greek "apokalupsis [ap-ok-al'-oop-sis]
Meaning: 1) a laying bear, making naked 2) a disclosure of truth, instruction 2a) concerning things before unknown 2b) used of events by which things or states or persons hitherto withdrawn from view are made visible to all 3) manifestation, appearance" Strongs Data 601-2

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stardust1955

Beyond linguistical analysis, do you have a deeper point in bringing this up? My dictionary seems to have both of the common meanings:

apocalypse
One entry found.

Main Entry: apoc·a·lypse
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpä-kə-ˌlips\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, revelation, Revelation, from Anglo-French apocalipse, from Late Latin apocalypsis, from Greek apokalypsis, from apokalyptein to uncover, from apo- + kalyptein to cover — more at hell
Date: 13th century

1 a : one of the Jewish and Christian writings of 200 b.c. to a.d. 150 marked by pseudonymity, symbolic imagery, and the expectation of an imminent cosmic cataclysm in which God destroys the ruling powers of evil and raises the righteous to life in a messianic kingdom b capitalized : revelation 3

2 a : something viewed as a prophetic revelation b : armageddon

3 : a great disaster -an environmental apocalypse-

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/15/2010 by skunknuts]

top topics

join