It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW An American that Speaks, sense!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have just spent an enjoyable 30mins listening to one of the most interesting, funny and factual Americans, well...... in America. Until this point I've never heard of one of your national treasures, I say treasure as anyone that speaks with such clarity must be so? Anyway, I've had to reassess my opinion which (being perfectly honest) hasn't always been favorable of your thinking over there in the good old USA on many matters (Yes I know I'm tarring many free thinkers here with the same brush). Anyway, I look forward to being further educated and entertained by this little golden nugget of mirth George of the family Carlin

Hope

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

He is one of the best at making the honest truth funny. It was truly a sad day when George Carlin passed away.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My respect for late George Carlin.

He IS one of my favourites.

Try Bill Hicks. He will amaze you !! Also diseased unfortunately

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
My respect for late George Carlin.

He IS one of my favourites.

Try Bill Hicks. He will amaze you !! Also diseased unfortunately

You mean deceased. He died of lung cancer. Not of disease. Unless you count cancer as a disease, I guess it sort of is.

Anyway, try Groucho Marx, while you're at it. There's lots of great things that come out of the States. Good liars, for one, heh. I'm from Canada, and I can be honest with you, in the arts, the Americans are advanced...erm, WERE advanced. Now we see their art has clearly degenerated into nothing but mass sex appeal whereas once The USA was home to those greats like, George Gershwin, Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, and yes, even lots of artists visited the USA, and did Einstein not eventually move to the US?

It would be quite foolish to think that those who are policy-makers in The States are those who speak on behalf of the people of The States. I have respect for them, but you will find even in your very own country those who are weak of will (and thus prone to become obese, addicted to drugs or smoking - even of the prescription kind, those 'shopaholics', gamblers, alcoholics or what have you's) but it just so happens more often in The States because their populations are more dense, and their wages (used to be) good for the work they did.
To be honest with you, and I do mean completely honest, I think we can blame large-scale dumbness on the parents of those who are now 15-20 because they had wealth, they were raising these children (i am btw, in this age group) with little worries of economic downturns, because they were raising them in good economic conditions, and so these children they got what they wanted without having to work for it. My parents are certainly guilty of this, and I try to not depend on them for any thing any more but I can definitely see how this has changed me, and I can most definitely see how this could change MANY children across The States, heck, in all the Americas, heck, even in all the developed countries.
Sure, lots of what George Carlin said is true, and some of it is funny - but you'll notice he's pretty much all of the time angry in his shows. I'm not sure if it's genuine anger or if he does it for the giggles anger gets, but hostility towards situations that we face in these days, I believe, is the least effective way to bring change, because whatever change you bring will harness that hostility with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The comma usage in the title of this thread is very disturbing.

George Carlin...pffft...he was a very bitter man. The older he got, the older his act got.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The comma usage in the title of this thread is very disturbing.

George Carlin...pffft...he was a very bitter man. The older he got, the older his act got.

He's been replaced by a much-less-funny Lewis Black.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah George Carlin is one of my all-time favorite people. He gave truth up front and bluntly even if it wasn't always as sensitively as some would like. I consider him the funniest philosopher to ever live... Yes, I consider him just as much a philosopher as I do a comedian.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

Here is a good thread about Carlin.

The man was a true Sage of our times.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

I don't think it is the parents that can be blamed for the dumbness . It seems to be something more than that , maybe a social engineering experiment , something that must have some degree of government funding or control .. to explain the vast scale of the problem . There ought to be an inquiry thou , there needs to be criminal actions taken against the perpetrators . It is a terrible crime they have committed , to deliberately incapacitate the intellectual acumen of a nation .

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Not sure who george carlin is but I am off to research and ill be back with some meaningful opinions..

join