It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyper Speed: Mutation Rate of Evolution Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
www.dailygalaxy.com...

Everything you need to know about the evolution debate in a single sentence: while one side shouts about how it hasn't happened, the scientists have already measured its speed. It turns out that when you're interested in things like "proof" and "inquiry" you can make forward progress instead of insisting everything ever was already known before the invention of the lightbulb.

An international collaboration between the Max Planck Institute and Indiana University analyzed the mutations of thirty mustard samples over five years. The painstaking research was intended to identify every change at every step, instead of the usual "Come back at the end and see what happened." They found an evolutionary speed of one base pair mutation per 140 million base pairs per generation. Each plant has 120 million, and when you add up how many millions of each plant there are and how fast they grow that's a breakneck genetic speed.

I just thought I would post this as it is very interesting, but I am so tired of the idea of "intelligent design" or creationism. It is about time everyone starts to realize all the facts we have for evolution and how much it means when we understand it fully.

We cannot advance as a civilization if we are stuck in the past and cannot grasp our future. Evolution has and will continue to happen if we can study it maybe we can harness the power of it. Think about all the possibilities...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Cool.

And I still believe in Intelligent Design.

Since when is Intelligent Design equivalent to Creationism?

Ever heard of the Phi ratio? If that doesn't mean intelligent design then i guess i don't know what intelligent design is.

Still, I believe in evolution as well. It just doesn't work for us humans as well as for animals.

I do think that the classic method of evolution may be incorrect, but evolution in jumps... well who knows.

join