It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: World's First Stem Cell Bank Opens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hadn't heard about this on the news until today, but apparantly it opened last Wednesday.

www.cnn.com...

The world's first embryonic stem cell bank opened in Britain on Wednesday, breaking new ground in one of the most controversial areas of medical research.

The bank aims to store and supply stem cell lines -- strings of identical cells -- for research and possible treatment of conditions like diabetes, cancer and Parkinson's. Its store of cell lines is expected to number tens of thousands.

With this hopefully research on stem cells and their beneficial (in my mind) uses will increase. Granted, there will be a lot of opposition to such organizations but I wouldn't doubt that in the upcoming years for there to be a stem cell bank in every major city and even some universities.

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Thanks encouraging to see. We won't know the benefits of stem cells unless they are researched widely, and this is a step to that.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Keep in mind, though, the restriction the Bush administration has placed on this research.

If you're not using the pre-approved stem cell lines identified by the Bush administration, you're not allowed to receive federal funding for your research.

That restriction will require those interested in utilizing these lines to segregate their research in such a way as to ensure that federal funding is not applied to research involving the new lines.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain
Keep in mind, though, the restriction the Bush administration has placed on this research.

well this is in britain, so i don't think bush's restrictions would apply... and also, you never know what could happen years from now.

cma

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The government has tested things like this alot. I am very excited one is actually being spread through knowledge to the public though! Britan will probably prevail in that sence, along with(, when they get out of the slum of the US not likeing them for not being in the war,) Germany.

new topics

top topics

join