It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High expectations? States weigh marijuana reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"In terms of state legislatures, this is far and away the most active year that we've ever seen," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, which supports reforming marijuana laws.
Nadelmann said that while legalization efforts are not likely to get much traction in state capitals anytime soon, the fact that there is such an increase of activity "is elevating the level of public discourse on this issue and legitimizing it."
"I would say that we are close to the tipping point," he said. "At this point they are still seen as symbolic bills to get the conversation going, but at least the conversation can be a serious one."

a fairly important news piece depicting the fact that the marijuana situation is being looked at with more sincerity and seriousness rather then just always being the lighthearted subject that has always been chuckled at

i find it interesting that even though the news piece claims billions can be made from taxing it, which would obviously improve economy, there are still those who believe there are absolutely no benefits from marijuana

what is interesting though is the people against marijuana reform are now the minority even though the minority seems to be the most outspoken

i also find interesting the double standard we live by

the article speaks about how traffic incidents would rise because of marijuana use

the reason its interesting is sure, maybe there would be a slight increase in traffic incidents due to those who abuse it, however people abuse alcohol on a daily basis, on a daily basis there are alcohol related deaths, accidents, and murders

there is not a single health benefit from the majority of alcohol unless you want to touch on the debate regarding the benefits of red wine, yet we allow alcohol, even though it kills millions every year

we still allow alcohol to be consumed, so how can we legally possess such a double standard regarding a less harmful substance?

that is nothing but a conspiracy, one that i am glad is beginning to gain the attention and sincerity that it deserves

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this article to light. I'm going to read through it now.

The points you bring up on alcohol make perfect sense to me. But sad to say, I don't think this thread will be around much longer.

Peace man.

new topics

join