It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocking up on food for a Global Catastrophe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

all one will really need is a pouch with flavorings, salts, spices, perhaps a bottle of virgin-olive-oil & other stuff

because theres plenty of vegetations, grasses. leaves, nuts, fungi, barks,
even clays to add to these products...in between scavanging for the rare
canned good one may find.

...assuming it's safe to go outside. Depending on what happens, your neighbors may end up an immediate threat. Foraging is definitely a possibility, unless contamination is an issue. Not to mention, not everyone resides in an area that could provide all the necessities in a sit-X. You would have been either very hungry or very sick in New Orleans a week after Katrina hit.

We'd all have a much easier time if we knew what type of disaster we were preparing for, but we don't. Therefore it's wise to prepare for the widest range of conceivable possibilities we can. Disease, lawlessness, radiation, rapid environmental shift, geographical location, proximity to a desperate population, etc. all rule out the "Universe shall provide" method as a viable survival technique.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Depending, of course, upon the circumstances...a lot of people are going to help each other.

There will be those who want to take from people...that's true enough. But it's my feelings, as in any calamity, more will lend a hand then try to chop it off.

IMHO, of course.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There are many people before you with these thoughts....some wrote books about how to prepare yourself. If you google the subject there will be a plenty to choose from. There will be without a doubt also e-books available on the subject.

I think it is also important to keep in mind where you live when you start making reserves. Your list will probably look different if you live in a populated city, near the sea or in an area where there are farms and nature.

The thing that worries me the most is a 2 km high wave crushing down on the city I live in. If I have the money for it I would take some diving lessons and buy scuba gear (oxigen tank and the lot). I will put my supplies in water tight bags, attach them to my body and make sure they will float to the surface. Thats one scenario and there are others.....

I normally do not bother to share but be careful who you inform about your supplies, because you do not want somebody take away your chance for survival. Speaking of which.....a weapon will also be a good idea to have on your list......you never know.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In this posting I will discuss a simple method to finding "WATER" during an emergency and how to use that water to also flush toilets during periods of outages. It is a good example of how simple knowledge can help save your life and make life more bearable when dealing with the reality of human waste removal from where you reside during the emergency.

Those in the big cities have issues and concerns that will influence their ability to find water. Those in the country or rural areas will take a different approach to surviving. Finding food and "water" will be influenced by where you reside when the emergency begins. For those in the cities, when the electricity/power goes off, many things will not work. Water will become a necessity to survive and to find water in the city is going to be a challenge. For those in the city, I will offer a proven method that will extend your ability to survive when looking for water and I will add a simple method to flushing any toilet during water outages.

Each and every water heater in every home and apartment complex or business with a rest room has a water heater tank that contains approximately 30-50 gallons of water. Even without electricity you can get to the water by means of the discharge valve at the bottom of the water heater. This water can be used for cooking, drinking and can help sustain you until you find another source of water or another water heater with water in it.

Since many in the city will be faced with the daily disposal of human waste, the toilets will probably be used by many and will remain unflushed. Even with the water supply shut off, one can flush the toilet in a house our apt. with only one gallon of water poured into the tank portion. This is sufficient to flush the toilet even if the water is shut off. This little bit of information will make living conditions more bearable for those in family situations where human waste is generated on a more frequent basis.

Anyone can test this claim and see that it is factual claim and once you get familiar with how to flush the toilet using a single gallon of water, you wont have to tolerate unbearable conditions with where to get rid of your human waste during a period of emergency when the water and power are cut off. You will be able to use the toilet as long as you have at least one gallon of water. Anything less than a gallon is iffy at best.

Locate swimming pools in your neighborhood and look for businesses with water sprinkler fire systems. Most fire sprinkler systems have large water tank that contain 300-500 gallons of water more or less depending on type of system. This type of fire suppression system is seldom a stand alone system and is also linked directly to the water source. As such, identifying or at least becoming aware of what may exist around your neighborhood could be a most intelligent item to recon and to record the findings in the event you or your family needs to find water to survive on and or if you elect to become mobile and begin a cross city venture to some safe zone or different area of safety. If and when such a decision becomes necessary to locate water, it would be helpful to already know where to go and the specific route concerns of how to get there in the event you have to do so during darkness or periods of where you do not want to be detected.

Become sensitive to the "Water Heater Tank" fact and you will be just a little bit better off than those that do not. I hope this benefits the many because I know with certainty that one can survive to live another day if one knows where to find water in such a way. Being able to catch rain and to know of obscure locations for water is nothing but a survival skill that worked for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join