It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's Goce satellite probes Earth's gravity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Europe's Goce satellite probes Earth's gravity

u2w3.com

Europe's Goce satellite is returning remarkable new data on the way the pull of gravity varies across the Earth.
Scientists say its first maps clearly show details not seen in previous space and ground measurements.
Goce was launched by the European Space Agency (Esa) in March from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in north-west Russia.
Its information is expected to bring new insights into how the oceans move, and to frame a universal system to measure height anywhere on the planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I dont think this has been posted but if it has please delete.

I found this article quite interesting. In my vast knowledge of gravity it turns out I understood jack-all (what goes up must come back down).

So Gravity is not constant and varies between continents, on mountain ranges etc. etc.

"Most people are taught at school that the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface - known as g - is about 9.8m per second squared. But, in truth, this figure varies around the planet depending on the nature of the material underfoot."

It would be interesting to see where this data goes over time and if the data can be mashed up with other other data-sources such as weather patterns, natural disasters, 'sky' phenomena etc. etc. as in doing so may start to answer some difficult questions.

u2w3.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/12/09 by AlwaysQuestion]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sun and Moon can set off tremors

I guess this can also help with mapping out this sort of data? Watching possible gravitational changes during the different phases of our lunar neighbour?

As a side note I also found this quote interesting but deserves a different thread:

The researchers believe the rock 15 miles below the surface is lubricated with highly pressurised water that allows it to slip around with little effort.

That;s got to be a LOT of water to do that. Helps explain Genesis 7:10 a little? Hmm - I am going off topic on my own post. Sorry.

new topics

join