It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Console families of military suicides, lawmakers urge Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Console families of military suicides, lawmakers urge Obama

www.cnn.com

The lawmakers warned that "our armed forces are in the midst of a suicide epidemic."

U.S. Army statistics show that more than 200 troops have killed themselves this year, more than in 2008, which was a record year.

"By overturning this policy on letters of condolence to the families of suicide victims, you can send a strong signal that you will not tolerate a culture in our armed forces that discriminates against those with a mental illness," the lawmakers wrote.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I think the key point here is that suicides have reached a record level this year. That does show that there is a lot of stress. Although that is not news to any one it just does show there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. All of that aside I do wish a safe return for all those fighting the war.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I am sorry to be cold about this, but suicides should be thrown in a dumpster. I have absolutely no sympathy for those who choose to end their own life. If life is worth that little to you that you would take your own, to me you deserve absolutely no respect nor do you deserve any condolences.

Cold I know, but suicides deserve no respect.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I wonder if we could find out how many tours these suicides have done.

Some, I have been told are on their 5th and 6th tours over there.

That is 5 or 6-18 month stints in a war zone.

Kind of puts the adage, life is Hell, to a whole new level, huh?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
That is so sad - but when you are in the killing game, if you kill a person, you probably cannot bear it.

And soldiers have issues from the wars they fought - obviously.

I hope there are a lot of councellors but NOT PHSYCHIATRISTS - in the US.

They make you insane -avoid them.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

You been to war?

If so, some kids don't know what they're getting themselves into, and it's damaging on the pyschi.

If you haven't been to war, you really have no room to talk, which you don't really anyways, you're ungracious and more likely to commit suicide than any of those brave soldiers.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

There is a reason I didn't join up with the military. But if they aren't able to handle the problems that come along with killing for a living perhaps they shouldn't have volunteered for that service to begin with.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I bet you that if one of the Generals or even Obama himself were to commit suicide due to stresses then the world would be falling over themselves to offer condolences and letters of comfort. If only one of them WOULD if not all of them would, then it would be a better place for all.

join