It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shroud From Jesus' Era?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Jerusalem (CNN) -- Researchers said Wednesday for the first time they have found what they believe to be pieces of a burial shroud from the time of Jesus.

The find is of importance because tests on the shroud and the body it wrapped revealed the earliest proven case of leprosy in the Old City of Jerusalem.

And in addition, the weave of the shroud raises fresh doubts about the Shroud of Turin, which many people believe was used to wrap the body of Jesus.

www.cnn.com...

Interesting article. I did a search for the title and didn't net any results.

So, what's the conspiracy? I don't know, why do certain individuals almost regularly try to pass off relics as being associated to Jesus?

Are they grasping at straws to legitimize his existence?

You be the judge.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I am a Christian (please don't attack me!), and I just want to know why Christians, and Christianity is the only religion ever attacked, ever! No one ever tries to disprove that Mohhamed was a prophet or anything like that, but there is a constant battle against Christianity. Methinks that is a conspiracy in itself, but let me just finish with this: if this cloth is 2,000 years old, then it could tell us whether or not the shroud of turin is legit or not.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by kingoftheworld]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
No one's passing it off as Jesus' shroud but it is the first time a burial shroud from 20 AD or thereabouts has been found in Jerusalem. It's quite an important find because it confirms some guesses but challenges others.

Fraudulent holy relics abound. The first pilgrims showed up and wanted souvenirs to take home and the poor people of the region were glad to sell them fragments of wood, bones, and anything else they could find. I forget how many skulls there are of St. Peter, but there's lots.

Part of it was social competition. If a tiny church could say "we have a relic of a real saint" then they had a good reason for asking people from the countryside to come worship at their church.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Or what you term "social competition" I term fraud and conspiracy.
And I realize nobody is saying this is Jesus' shroud.

I was using this as an example as to how the other shroud is NOT Jesus'... or were you speaking to the other poster?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

I'm certainly not trying to prove or disprove anything.
I was just relaying the article, as I figured this to be an important find.

My question was why do OTHERS try and pass off relics supposedly attributed TO Jesus?

Would you feel differently right now if this thing had been consistent with the Shroud of Turin in composition?
I'd bet you'd be quite happy.

Sorry this one didn't fall your way.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Oh, please take no offense, I was not attacking you in any way. I am just saying the way the article is written: "And in addition, the weave of the shroud raises fresh doubts about the Shroud of Turin, which many people believe was used to wrap the body of Jesus". That may seem harmless, but it puts a negative cannotation on it in my opinion. And I am not for certain about the Shroud of Turin, there has been alot of conflicting evidence by biased researchers, both christian, and non-christian. So if we could have a truly unbiased, and independent scientist study this thing, maybe we could put all the myths and crap behind us.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

why do certain individuals almost regularly try to pass off relics as being associated to Jesus?

I don't think it's so in this case, but people often fake ancient relics because they know that there is money in it.

As I remember though, this shroud isn't tied to Jesus, it's just a shroud from that general era.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Tis the season to look for anything that may be remotely tied to Jesus just so the haters can hate him even more.

Typical media ploy.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Tis the season to look for anything that may be remotely tied to Jesus just so the haters can hate him even more.

Typical media ploy.

Jesus who?

The supposed creator of the universe, who walked on water to try and impress his own creation?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Well, I'm not so sure that an "unbiased" scientist would be viewed in such a light once the facts were in.

Also, I'm not so sure it would be all that easy to even FIND a completely unbiased person in these regards.
Unfortunately, this is one of those subjects that most everyone has formed an opinion on.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Dear JayinAR

They have apparently found a 2000 year old shroud.

I really do not see other than it was apparently found in Jerusalem what possible connection this could have to Jesus. Or for that matter the Turin Shroud.

Just because one person was buried with a particular sort of Shroud dose not in any sense mean Jesus was buried the same way.

It just annoys me that one thing someone will conclude another especially when they have some religious axe to grind.

I agree that there is a lot being found out about this period but let’s get it all together first before make assumptions.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There are many nutters out there with the shroud fetish.

We just have to make sure the shroud cult doesn't grow, for humanity's sake.

top topics

join