It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoths lived later than previously thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
December 14, 2009

DNA evidence shows beasts survived to as recently as 7,600 years ago

Woolly mammoths and other large beasts in North America may not have gone extinct as long ago as previously thought.

The new view — that pockets of beasts survived to as recently as 7,600 years ago, rather than the previous end times mark of 12,000 years ago — is supported by DNA evidence found in a few pinches of dirt.

After plucking ancient DNA from frozen soil in central Alaska, researchers uncovered "genetic fossils" of both mammoths and horses locked in permafrost samples dated to between 10,500 and 7,600 years ago.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Samples taken from undisturbed Alaskan permafrost show the presence of mammoth and horse DNA dating back to 7,600 years ago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f92178cabb20.jpg[/atsimg]

Related content:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Seems the time frame is getting closer and closer, next thing they will try to replicate the Mammoths since they have the DNA, don't think it would be a good idea.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thanks for your post. I am very interested in extinct species and love to read about them. Extinction incidents are like conspiracies. Both happen usually hidden from the observer. With new research the picture becomes clearer. Small mammoths lived on Wrangel island until 2000 BC.

Source:
packrat.aml.arizona.edu...
Location of Wrangel island
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I wonder if they could still be alive today. If they were, it would have to be in extremely small numbers in very isolated parts of the world.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I don't see why they couldn't live today, elephants do and they are very similar, that would be something wouldn't it.

join